Blue Soapstone Quarry
The Blue Soapstone Quarry was located off Jenkins Road in Harold Parker State Forest. The land was originally owned by William Jenkins who entered into a contract to quarry the stone with Addison Flint and Michael Flannery, a stone cutter in 1834.
The stone was used for buildings on Summer Street in Boston, monuments in the Mount Auburn Cemetery, and in the West Parish Cemetery.
The treasurer of the company absconded and the project was terminated, leaving large boulders at the site.
- The Townswoman's Andover, by Bessie Goldsmith, page 36 - 43 (974.45 Gol).
- "Forest history includes soapstone quarry," Andover Townsman, September 17, 1998, page 10.
--Eleanor 16:24, May 10, 2006 (EDT)
back to Main Page