There was a fire at the Andover Commons Elderly complex on Saturday, January 25, 2003. The third alarm was sounded because of the difficulty in evacuating the building. Many residents were in wheelchairs or use walkers.
- "Commons Recovers from Fire," Andover Townsman, January, 30, 2003.
- Andover Townsman, October 5, 1939
Six fire departments from surrounding towns were called in to fight this mill fire at the Plastex Corporation on Red Spring Road on February 23, 1941. The trains between Boston and Portland, Maine were held up because of the fire hoses on the tracks. The estimate of the damage was $75,000. The Plastex Corporation was a branch of the North American Chemical Company.
- Andover Townsman, May 8, 2008, p. 9
- Andover Townsman, February 27, 1941, p. 4
- Lawrence Eagle Tribune, February 24, 1941
Scotland District Schoolhouse
In 1902 the Scotland District Schoolhose burned to the ground. The Ballardvale Station tried in vain to save the structure.
- Andover, What It Was, What It Is. : 300th Anniversary, May 30 - June 2, 1946, (974.45 And), 1902.
--Kim 16:15, May 29, 2010 (EDT)
back to Main Page