There were several stops on Underground Railroad in Andover.
A brief history of the Underground Railroad from The Underground Railroad in Massachusetts by William H. Seibert (1936):
Andover Homes involved with the Underground Railroad:
- William Jenkins – 8 Douglass Street (formerly Jenkins Road)
- Holt Cogswell House – 373 South Main Street
- Mark Newman House – 210 Main Street on the Phillips Academy Campus
- Stowe House – 80 Bartlett Street
- William Poor and Sons Wagon Factory - 66 Poor Street. William Poor and his sons built carriages with false bottoms for transporting slaves to freedom.
- Free Christian Church – 31 Elm Street. This church was formed by John Smith and other Andover residents who did not think that other churches were making a strong stand against slavery.
- "Jenkins House Station for Escaping Slaves," Andover Townsman, March 22, 1956.
- "Antislavery Movement was Active in Andover," Andover Townsman, June 20, 1996, p.20
- "Underground Railroad stopped here," Eagle Tribune, February 20, 1998, p. 15.
- "Andover’s Home was but one Stop on the Underground Railroad," Andover Townsman, October 26, 2000.
- "Historian: Not Everyone in Andover Backed Abolition of Slavery Before the Civil War", Townsman, July 17, 2003, p. 11, 12.
- “Andover:Symbol of New England” by Claude Fuess, (974.45 Fuess), p. 314.
- "The William Jenkins House," The Townswoman's Andover by Bessie Goldsmith (974.45 Gol), p. 20.
- West of Shawsheen by Eleanor Campbell, Andover Room 974.45 Cam, Chapter III "A Time of Sorrow", pages 21 to 31.
- Abolitionists and the Underground Railroad in the Essex Natural Heritage Area, ,published by the National Parks Service.
- The Anti-Slavery Movement and the Underground Railroad in Andover & Greater Lawrence, Massaschusetts the Greater Lawrence Underground Railroad Committee. Andover Room R 974.45 Gre (pamphlet box 6).
back to Main Page