Difference between pages "Schools Constructed Prior to 1950" and "Ballardvale Historic District Commission"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
== North District School ==
+
The Ballardvale Historic District Commission established by the town in 1995 to preserve Ballardvale. According to Chapter 40C of the Massachusetts General Laws, its mission is to:
 +
*To preserve and protect the distinctive characteristics of the buildings and places significant to the history of the Commonwealth’s cities and towns.
 +
*To maintain and improve the settings of those buildings and places.
 +
*To encourage compatibility with existing buildings when new buildings are planned within the district."
  
The school was located on the corner of North Street and River Road from 1835 to 1947. Later the building was used by West Andover Community Associaton.  It was demolished in 1984.
+
The regulations for changes to buildings in Ballardvale are clearly defined in the *Rules Regulations and Procedures of BVHDC".
* ''Andover Townsman'', November 10, 2005
+
  
 +
See
  
 +
    History of Ballardvale Andover Room R 974.45 His
 +
    Ballard Historic District Commission (BVHDC)
 +
    Rules, Regulations and Procedures of BVHDC
 +
    "Ringing Out the Old" Townsman, January 1 ,2004
  
== North Parish School ==
 
  
The first school house in Andover was erected in Feb. 3, 1701, in North Parish (now North Andover). In 1718, a second schoolhouse was erected in South Parish.
+
--Eleanor 15:22, March 14, 2006 (EST)
* ''Lawrence Eagle Tribune'', October 22, 1964
+
  
 +
--Eleanor (talk) 15:23, 5 March 2015 (EST)
  
 
+
back to Main Page
== Punchard Free School ==
+
 
+
The Punchard Free School, at 36 Bartlett Street, was founded in 1856 by bequest of $50,000 from resident Benjamin H. Punchard.  The school was dedicated September 2, 1856 but fire destroyed it 12 years later. The school was rebuilt under the jurisdiction of the town. Public funding began in 1901 and the school was renamed Punchard High School.  When a new high school was built in 1957, Punchard became Andover Junior High. The last high school class graduated from Punchard on June 14, 1957. Conversion to town offices began in 1982.
+
* ''Andover Townsman'', December 30, 2004
+
* ''Andover Townsman'', June 20, 1957
+
*[http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11389I5VR6171.20174&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=33&source=%7E%21horizon&index=.ET&term=townswoman%27s+andover&aspect=subtab783&x=2&y=8#focus ''The Townswoman's Andover''] by Bessie Goldsmith, pages 43-39 (974.45 Gol)
+
 
+
== Stowe School ==
+
 
+
Stowe School, named after Harriet Beecher Stowe, was located on Bartlett Street from 1894 to 1971. It housed the Central Grammar School.
+
* ''Andover Townsman'', June 19, 2003
+
 
+
 
+
== Chronology of Andover Schools ==
+
 
+
The chronology of Andover's school buildings was researched by James Batchelder.
+
 
+
[[Image:schools.jpg|thumb||left| “Chronology of school buildings,'' [http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1VO23D1142234.6117&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=andover+a+century+of+change&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), 154 …..click to enlarge|left]]
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
 
+
 
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:40, February 13, 2010 (EST)
+
 
+
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
+
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
+

Revision as of 16:31, 5 March 2015

The Ballardvale Historic District Commission established by the town in 1995 to preserve Ballardvale. According to Chapter 40C of the Massachusetts General Laws, its mission is to:

  • To preserve and protect the distinctive characteristics of the buildings and places significant to the history of the Commonwealth’s cities and towns.
  • To maintain and improve the settings of those buildings and places.
  • To encourage compatibility with existing buildings when new buildings are planned within the district."

The regulations for changes to buildings in Ballardvale are clearly defined in the *Rules Regulations and Procedures of BVHDC".

See

   History of Ballardvale Andover Room R 974.45 His
   Ballard Historic District Commission (BVHDC)
   Rules, Regulations and Procedures of BVHDC
   "Ringing Out the Old" Townsman, January 1 ,2004


--Eleanor 15:22, March 14, 2006 (EST)

--Eleanor (talk) 15:23, 5 March 2015 (EST)

back to Main Page