Difference between pages "Harold Parker State Forest" and "Haggett's Pond"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The state forest was established in 1916 and named for Harold Parker who died during his term as chairman of the State Conservation Commission. The forest is located in Essex and Middlesex counties: 60% in North Andover, 30% in Andover, 8% in North Reading, and 2% in Middleton.
+
The 217.6 acre pond is located in West Andover along Rt. 133, Lowell Street.  It was known in the 1600s as Blanchard's Pond until 1720 when Moses Hagget bought the area around the pond.
The two natural ponds are Berry and Bear Ponds.
+
In 1886, the town voted to spend $10,000 to make Rabbit Pond available for fire protection and installed 16 hydrants while another committee was formed to create pumping for water from Haggett's Pond.  In 1974 a new treatment plant was built and expanded in 1991. The building was named the Robert E. McQuade Water Treatment Plant after the long time Public Works director.
  
There are 36 miles of trails and 91 campsites.
+
See
  
 +
*[http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=AW3993Y777531.1577&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=loring&index=.AW&term=historical+sketches+of+Andover&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Sarah Loring Bailey, (974.45 Bai)
  
See
+
* [http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1VO23D1142234.6117&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=andover+a+century+of+change&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric)
  
*[http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/northeast/harp.htm Harold Parker State Forest]
 
  
*''North Andover Citizen'', July 8, 1998, p.9.
 
  
  
*"Harold Parker State Forest a Trove of Adventure:Outdoor Adventure for Young and Old Alike," ''Eagle Tribune'', August 26, 2012, p. B1, B3.
 
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 12:18, October 6, 2006 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
 
+
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 15:38, October 2, 2006 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired --><br>
+
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 14:37, September 7, 2012 (EDT)
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 12:26, 6 October 2006

The 217.6 acre pond is located in West Andover along Rt. 133, Lowell Street. It was known in the 1600s as Blanchard's Pond until 1720 when Moses Hagget bought the area around the pond. In 1886, the town voted to spend $10,000 to make Rabbit Pond available for fire protection and installed 16 hydrants while another committee was formed to create pumping for water from Haggett's Pond. In 1974 a new treatment plant was built and expanded in 1991. The building was named the Robert E. McQuade Water Treatment Plant after the long time Public Works director.

See



--Glenda 12:18, October 6, 2006 (EDT)

back to Main Page