Difference between pages "Haggett's Pond" and "Shawsheen River"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The 217.6 acre pond is located in West Andover along Rt. 133, Lowell StreetIt was known in the 1600s as Blanchard's Pond until 1720 when Moses Hagget bought the area around the pond.
+
The Shawsheen River flows 25 miles from its headwaters in Bedford to its confluence with the Merrimack River in LawrenceThe river loses 70 feet in elevation along the way.
In 1886, the town voted to spend $10,000 to make Rabbit Pond available for fire protection and installed 16 hydrants while another committee was formed to create pumping for water from Haggett's Pond.  In 1974 a new treatment plant was built and expanded in 1991. The building was named the Robert E. McQuade Water Treatment Plant after the long time Public Works director.
+
According to legend, the name "Shawsheen" is a Native American word, meaning "serpent" or "serpentine", while other sources interpret the name to mean "Great Spring" and "Beauty's Pathway".
  
See  
+
See
  
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=103693&t=historical%20sketches%20of%20andover&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=8&rt=keywords ''Historical Sketches of Andover''] by Sarah Loring Bailey, (974.45 Bai)pages 123-124.
+
[http://www.shawsheen.org/recmap/InfoPage.htm Shawsheen River Recreational Map]
  
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword  ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric)pages 195-196.
 
  
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
 
+
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 16:27, January 12, 2007 (EST)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
 
+
 
+
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 12:18, October 6, 2006 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 17:27, 12 January 2007

The Shawsheen River flows 25 miles from its headwaters in Bedford to its confluence with the Merrimack River in Lawrence. The river loses 70 feet in elevation along the way. According to legend, the name "Shawsheen" is a Native American word, meaning "serpent" or "serpentine", while other sources interpret the name to mean "Great Spring" and "Beauty's Pathway".

See

Shawsheen River Recreational Map



--Glenda 16:27, January 12, 2007 (EST)

back to Main Page