Difference between pages "Shawsheen River" and "Franklin Academy"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The Shawsheen River flows 25 miles from its headwaters in Bedford to its confluence with the Merrimack River in Lawrence. The river loses 70 feet in elevation along the way.   
+
The North Parish Free School was incorporated in 1801 as a privately endowed school. The building was located on a hill north of the meeting house on a road in the North Parish now known as Academy RoadIn 1803, the name was changed to Franklin Academy.  The Academy was the first school in Massachusetts to admit girls. In 1853, the end came for the school as more public schools were available.
According to legend, the name "Shawsheen" is a Native American word, meaning "serpent" or "serpentine", while other sources interpret the name to mean "Great Spring" and "Beauty's Pathway".
+
  
 
See
 
See
  
[http://www.shawsheen.org/recmap/InfoPage.htm Shawsheen River Recreational Map]
+
*"Three prestigious Andover schools become one," ''Andover Townsman'', December 20, 2012, page 10.
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=250279&t=andover%20symbol%20of%20new%20england&tp=title&l=6&d=0&hc=1&at=420&rt=title ''Andover Symbol of New England''] by Claude 975.45 Fuess, pages 224-226.
  
[http://www.mass.gov/envir/water/shawsheen/shawsheen.htm Shawsheen River Watershed]
 
 
[http://www.avisandover.org/shawsheenriver.html AVIS Shawsheen River Reservation]
 
  
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 16:27, January 12, 2007 (EST)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
+
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 16:08, 28 December 2012

The North Parish Free School was incorporated in 1801 as a privately endowed school. The building was located on a hill north of the meeting house on a road in the North Parish now known as Academy Road. In 1803, the name was changed to Franklin Academy. The Academy was the first school in Massachusetts to admit girls. In 1853, the end came for the school as more public schools were available.

See

  • "Three prestigious Andover schools become one," Andover Townsman, December 20, 2012, page 10.
  • Andover Symbol of New England by Claude 975.45 Fuess, pages 224-226.




back to Main Page