The 217.6 acre pond is located in West Andover along Rt. 133, Lowell Street. It was known in the 1600s as Blanchard's Pond until 1720 when Moses Hagget bought the area around the pond. In 1886, the town voted to spend $10,000 to make Rabbit Pond available for fire protection and installed 16 hydrants while another committee was formed to create pumping for water from Haggett's Pond. In 1974 a new treatment plant was built and expanded in 1991. The building was named the Robert E. McQuade Water Treatment Plant after the long time Public Works director.
- Historical Sketches of Andover by Sarah Loring Bailey, (974.45 Bai)pages 123-124.
- Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric)pages 195-196.
--Glenda 12:18, October 6, 2006 (EDT)
back to Main Page