Andover adopted the Town Manager System in March of 1959. Victor J. Mill Jr. served as the volunteer town manager until a professional could be hired. The first town manager, appointed by the Selectmen in May 1959, was Thomas E. Duff. Mr. Duff had previously been city manager in Claremont, NH.
Andover Town Managers:
- Victor Mills Jr served as the volunteer town manager until the hiring of a professional.
- Thomas Duff served as town manager from June, 1959 to June 8, 1964.
- Richard Bowen served as town manager from July 20, 196 to May 22, 1969.
- J. Maynard Austin served as town manager from September 2, 1969 to September 2, 1977. However, the Town Charter calls for a 5 year term so the Selectmen appointed Mr. Austin Acting Town Manager effective September 3, 1977. Mr. Austin submitted his resignation, which was accepted on October 18, 1977 with the understanding that his services would be retained to advise the new Acting Town Manager until on or about February 21, 1978.
- Sheldon S. Cohen served as acting town manager for a period in 1977. At this time he appointed J. Maynard Austin as Special Assistant to the Acting Town Manager for a period ending February 21, 1978 (see above).
- Jared S. A. Clark served as town manager from March 27, 1978 to June 30, 1981.
- Anthony J. Torrisi served as acting town manager from June 30, 1981 to January 3, 1982.
- Kenneth A. Mahony served as town manager from January 4, 1982 to February 1990.
- Anthony J. Torrisi served as acting town manager from February-May 1990.
- Reginald "Buzz" S. Stapczynski served as town manager from June 1990 to the present.
- Andover Townsman, May 7, 1959, page 1+.
- Town of Andover, Annual Report 1963, p. 83.
- Town of Andover, Annual Report 1964, p. 3.
- Town of Andover, Annual Report 1969, p. 5.
- Town of Andover, Annual Report 1977, p. 5.
- Town of Andover, Annual Report 1978, p. 1.
- Town of Andover, Annual Report 1981, p. 6.
- Town of Andover, Annual Report 1990, p. 2.
- Andover a Century of Change: 1896 - 1996, by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) page 191.
- Current Town Manager
back to Main Page