Difference between pages "Indian Ridge" and "Franklin Academy"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Indian Ridge was formed when an ice glacier melted forming a ridge. This 23 acre tract of land covers the area between Red Spring and West Andover Road where Reservation Road is now. It had been thought to be an Native American burial ground, because of the artifacts found hereIt was determined, however,  that  Native Americans used the ridge as a pathway.
+
The North Parish Free School was incorporated in 1801 as a privately endowed school. The building was located on a hill north of the meeting house on a road in the North Parish now known as Academy RoadIn 1803, the name was changed to Franklin Academy.  The Academy was the first school in Massachusetts to admit girls. In 1853, the end came for the school as more public schools were available.
 
+
At the end of the 19th century the ridge was a popular recreation area. When a sawmill sought to purchase the land, the townspeople launched a public subscription campaign to raise the purchase price of $4000.  The Abbot family dropped the price to $3500, the sum that had been raised and the land was purchased on December 16, 1897.
+
  
 
See
 
See
*[http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11389I5VR6171.20174&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=33&source=%7E%21horizon&index=.ET&term=townswoman%27s+andover&aspect=subtab783&x=2&y=8#focus ''The Townswoman's Andover''] by Bessie Goldsmith (974.45 Gol), page 13 to page 16.
+
[http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1169P2029LD12.6746&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=andover+symbol+of+new+england&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus “Andover:Symbol of New England”] by Claude Fuess, (974.45 Fuess)pages 224-226.
* [http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=116629T45703T.5965&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=indian+ridge+scrapbook&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Indian Ridge Scrapbook''] by Alice Buck (Andover Room 974.45 Ind)
+
  
  
Line 11: Line 8:
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:18, December 16, 2006 (EST)
+
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
 
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 11:31, 19 January 2007

The North Parish Free School was incorporated in 1801 as a privately endowed school. The building was located on a hill north of the meeting house on a road in the North Parish now known as Academy Road. In 1803, the name was changed to Franklin Academy. The Academy was the first school in Massachusetts to admit girls. In 1853, the end came for the school as more public schools were available.

See “Andover:Symbol of New England” by Claude Fuess, (974.45 Fuess)pages 224-226.




back to Main Page