Because many in the community were dedicated to the anti-slavery movement the Underground Railroad had several stops in the homes of Andover.
- William Jenkins – 8 Douglass St (formerly Jenkins Road)
- "The William Jenkins House," The Townswoman's Andover by Bessie Goldsmith (974.45 Gol), p. 20
- "Andover’s Home was but one Stop on the Undergroud Railroad," Andover Townsman 10/26/2000 (This article is found in the Andover Vertical File under Underground Railroad)
- “Andover:Symbol of New England” by Claude Fuess, (974.45 Fuess), p. 314
- "Jenkins House Station for Escaping Slaves," Andvoer Townsman, March 22, 1956 (This Article can be found in the Jenkins Family File
- Holt Cogswell House – 373 South Main St.
- Mark Newman House – 210 Main St. on the Phillips Academy Campus
- Stowe House – 80 Bartlett St.
- William Poor and Sons Wagon Factory - 66 Poor St.
- William Poor and his sons built carriages with false bottoms for transporting slaves to freedom.
- Free Christian Church – 31 Elm St.
Andover Verticle File - Underground Railroad contains many newspaper articles and other materials written about the role of Andover in rescuing slaves in the 1800s.
- Abolitionists and the Underground Railroad in the Essex Natural Heritage Area, ,published by the National Parks Service
- "Anti-Slavery Movement and the Underground Railroad in Andover & Greater Lawrence, Massachusetts"
- "Antislavery Movement was Active in Andover," Andover Townsman, June 20, 1996, p.20
- Slavery/Abolitionist Movement/Underground Railroad by the Andover Historical Society
- West of Shawsheen by Eleanor Campbell, Andover Room 974.45 Cam, Chapter III "A Time of Sorrow", pages 21 to 31
--Eleanor 16:06, January 16, 2008 (EST)
back to Main Page