Difference between pages "Andover - Sanborn Map" and "Franklin Academy"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Sanborn Maps of Andover are available at the [http://andoverhistorical.org/ Andover Historical Society].  
+
The North Parish Free School was incorporated in 1801 as a privately endowed school. The building was located on a hill north of the meeting house on a road in the North Parish now known as Academy Road. In 1803, the name was changed to Franklin Academy.  The Academy was the first school in Massachusetts to admit girls. In 1853, the end came for the school as more public schools were available.
  
 +
See
  
+
*[http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1169P2029LD12.6746&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=andover+symbol+of+new+england&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus “Andover:Symbol of New England”] by Claude Fuess, (974.45 Fuess)pages 224-226.
<br style="clear:both;">
+
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:21, December 27, 2006 (EST)
+
 
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 
 +
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 11:36, 19 January 2007

The North Parish Free School was incorporated in 1801 as a privately endowed school. The building was located on a hill north of the meeting house on a road in the North Parish now known as Academy Road. In 1803, the name was changed to Franklin Academy. The Academy was the first school in Massachusetts to admit girls. In 1853, the end came for the school as more public schools were available.

See




back to Main Page