The North Parish Free School was incorporated in 1801 as a privately endowed school. The building was located on a hill north of the meeting house on a road in the North Parish now known as Academy Road. In 1803, the name was changed to Franklin Academy. The Academy was the first school in Massachusetts to admit girls. In 1853, the end came for the school as more public schools were available.
- “Andover:Symbol of New England” by Claude Fuess, (974.45 Fuess)pages 224-226.
back to Main Page