Difference between pages "Parks" and "Fires"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
== History of Parks ==
+
== Andover Commons ==
Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel WoodsShrubs and bushes were also planted.  But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.  
+
There was a fire at the Andover Commons Elderly complex on Saturday, January 25, 2003. The third alarm was sounded because of the difficulty in evacuating the buildingMany residents were in wheelchairs or use walkers.
  
The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.
 
<br><br>
 
 
See
 
See
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 206.
+
*"Commons Recovers from Fire," ''Andover Townsman'', January, 30, 2003.
 +
<br>
  
== Andover Park 2000 ==
+
== [[Barnard Street Fire]] ==
Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street.  It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.
+
<br>
<br><br>
+
 
See
+
== [[Malden Mills Fire]] ==
* ''Andover Townsman'', June 22, 2000.
+
<br>
* Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.
+
 
 +
== Morgan Farm ==
  
== Castle Park ==
 
Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with [[Wood Garden]] was a 350th celebration activity.  It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.
 
<br><br>
 
 
See
 
See
* [http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11490T9973U33.20531&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=celebrating+350&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Celebrating 350 Years, Andover Massachusetts, 1996: An Anniversary Journal''], page 49 (974.45 Cel)
+
* ''Andover Townsman'', October 5, 1939
* Andover Townsman, "Castle Park to be Dedicated Next Weekend", page 23.
+
  
  
== The Park, also known as Central Park ==
+
== Plastex Corporation ==
In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town.  Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."
+
  
In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.
+
Six fire departments from surrounding towns were called in to fight this mill fire at the Plastex Corporation on Red Spring Road on February 23, 1941. The trains between Boston and Portland, Maine were held up because of the fire hoses on the tracks.  The estimate of the damage was $75,000. The Plastex Corporation was a branch of the North American Chemical Company.
  
The Bandstand in Central Park was originally constructed in 1913. According to Community Services Librarian, Norma Gammon, the design was changed in the 1980's.
+
See
  
[[File:bandstand.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Bandstand in Central Park. This picture is from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1988, page 73A]]
+
*''Andover Townsman'', May 8, 2008, p. 9
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
*''Andover Townsman'', February 27, 1941, p. 4
  
 +
*''Lawrence Eagle Tribune'', February 24, 1941
 +
<br>
  
[[Image:park1.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge ]]
+
== Scotland District Schoolhouse ==
[[Image:park2.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge ]]
+
In 1902 the Scotland District Schoolhose burned to the ground. The Ballardvale Station tried in vain to save the structure.
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
 
See
 
See
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=6355&t=What%20it%20was%2C%20what%20it%20is%3A%20300th&tp=title&d=0&hc=1&rt=title Andover, ''What it was, what it is: 300th Anniversary May 30, - June 2, 1946''] published by the Andover Townsman Press. 
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=Andover%20what%20it%20was&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= Andover, What It Was, What It Is. : 300th Anniversary, May 30 - June 2, 1946], (974.45 And), 1902.
*"A Park by Any Other Name", ''Townsman'' ("The Back Page") , December 29, 2005
+
*"Recalling high, low bandstand moments," ''Andover Townsman'', October 18, 2012, p. 10.
+
*"Park's name splits townies, newcomers," ''Eagle Tribune'', November 28, 2005, page 1.
+
*Past and Present. ''Andover Townsman'', December 8, 2005.
+
*"'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," ''Andover Townsman'', November 21, 2013, p. 15.
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
+
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
== Penguin Park ==
+
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 16:15, May 29, 2010 (EDT)
See
+
*"Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," ''Boston Globe'', May 13, 1990, p. 1.
+
  
  
== Peter Aumais Park ==
+
== 1884 Fire ==
The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000
+
<br><br>
+
See
+
*''Andover Townsman'', Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.
+
* "Peter Aumais Park Dedicated." ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 2000, page 44. 
+
 
+
 
+
== Shawsheen River Park ==
+
The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).
+
 
+
 
+
+
== William Wood Memorial Park ==
+
See [[Wood Garden]]
+
 
+
 
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:53, March 14, 2006 (EST)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:23, 22 October 2015 (EDT)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:06, 18 December 2015 (EST)
+
  
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 15:36, 18 December 2015

Andover Commons

There was a fire at the Andover Commons Elderly complex on Saturday, January 25, 2003. The third alarm was sounded because of the difficulty in evacuating the building. Many residents were in wheelchairs or use walkers.

See

  • "Commons Recovers from Fire," Andover Townsman, January, 30, 2003.


Barnard Street Fire


Malden Mills Fire


Morgan Farm

See

  • Andover Townsman, October 5, 1939


Plastex Corporation

Six fire departments from surrounding towns were called in to fight this mill fire at the Plastex Corporation on Red Spring Road on February 23, 1941. The trains between Boston and Portland, Maine were held up because of the fire hoses on the tracks. The estimate of the damage was $75,000. The Plastex Corporation was a branch of the North American Chemical Company.

See

  • Andover Townsman, May 8, 2008, p. 9
  • Andover Townsman, February 27, 1941, p. 4
  • Lawrence Eagle Tribune, February 24, 1941


Scotland District Schoolhouse

In 1902 the Scotland District Schoolhose burned to the ground. The Ballardvale Station tried in vain to save the structure.

See


--Kim 16:15, May 29, 2010 (EDT)


1884 Fire

back to Main Page