Difference between revisions of "Old Town House"

From Andover Answers
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: The Town House was built in 1858 at a cost of $15,500. It was orginally constructed for a "spacious hall in the second story, with a small gallery and four anterooms. In the first floor a...)
 
(16 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The Town House was built in 1858 at a cost of $15,500.  It was orginally constructed for a "spacious hall in the second story, with a small gallery and four anterooms. In the first floor a smaller hall, also a post office room, treasurer's and selectmen's room..."
+
On March 1, 1858, a committee was appointed to choose a site for and to consider building a Town House.  The land was chosen and purchased from Mr. W. Philip Foster for $2,000.  The Town House was built in 1858 at a cost of $15,500 and is located on Main Street in the middle of town.   
In 1882 an extension was added for cooking accommodations and water for use by clubs and private parties.  In 1902 a lobby was designed with ornamental winding staircases and tinted walls.
+
 
The Town Seal was placed in the mosaic floor. In 1989 the facility was completely renovated adding air-conditioning.  The building is now available for wedding receptions, theater performances, and banquets. There is still a Post Office substation on the first floor.
+
 
 +
The architect was Theodore Volkers and the contractors were Abbott & Clement.  The building was described as a "spacious hall in the second story, with a small gallery and four anterooms. In the first floor, a smaller hall, also a post office room, treasurer's and selectmen's room with a fire-proof safe, and a small room to rent as an office or store."  In a committee report made on December 20, 1858, the building was described as 55ft by 86ft long.  
 +
 
 +
 
 +
On May 7, 1860, the committee reported the expenditures:<br>
 +
Land $2,000.00<br>
 +
Building $13,541.16<br>
 +
Furniture $1,474.10<br>
 +
Celebration $105.90<br>
 +
Total Expense: $17,122.16<br>
 +
 
 +
 
 +
In 1882, an extension was added for cooking accommodations and water for use by clubs and private parties.  In 1902, a lobby was designed with ornamental winding staircases and tinted walls. The Town Seal was placed in the mosaic floor.  
 +
 
 +
 
 +
During WWII, the second floor was subdivided into office space.  Several plans to raze the building were thwarted in the 1950s and 1960s.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
In 1989, the facility was completely renovated adding air-conditioning.  The building is now available for wedding receptions, theater performances, and banquets. There is still a Post Office substation on the first floor. A "Rededication Ceremony for the Andover Town House" was held on May 6, 1989.
 +
 
 +
[[Image:Andover_Town_House_Rededication.jpg|thumb|...''Andover Town House Rededication Ceremony, May 6, 1989''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
 
 +
[[Image:Andover_Town_House_Rededication_Ceremony.jpg|thumb|...''Andover Town House Rededication Ceremony, May 6, 1989''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 
  
 
See
 
See
 +
*''Andover Advertiser'', September 4, 1858.
 +
 +
*''Andover Advertiser'', November 20, 1858.
 +
 +
*''Andover Advertiser'', December 25, 1858.
 +
 +
*''Andover Advertiser'', January 1, 1859.
 +
 +
* "Andover considers ways to save old Town Hall", ''Eagle Tribune'', November 25, 1986.
  
 
* ''Andover Townsman'', April 27, 1989  
 
* ''Andover Townsman'', April 27, 1989  
Line 9: Line 44:
 
* ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 1989, p. 6+
 
* ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 1989, p. 6+
  
[[Andover Town House Function Room]]
+
*"Sentimental journey for hall", ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 2005.
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
*"Is there new revenue in Andover's Old Town Hall?", ''Eagle Tribune'', March 18, 2008.
  
 +
[http://andoverma.gov/facilities/rentals/townhouse.php Andover Town House Function Room ]
 +
 +
Andover Vertical File--Historic Houses--Town House
 +
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 10:03, January 26, 2007 (EST)<br>
 +
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 16:32, March 14, 2012 (EDT)
 
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
 
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 16:37, 14 March 2012

On March 1, 1858, a committee was appointed to choose a site for and to consider building a Town House. The land was chosen and purchased from Mr. W. Philip Foster for $2,000. The Town House was built in 1858 at a cost of $15,500 and is located on Main Street in the middle of town.


The architect was Theodore Volkers and the contractors were Abbott & Clement. The building was described as a "spacious hall in the second story, with a small gallery and four anterooms. In the first floor, a smaller hall, also a post office room, treasurer's and selectmen's room with a fire-proof safe, and a small room to rent as an office or store." In a committee report made on December 20, 1858, the building was described as 55ft by 86ft long.


On May 7, 1860, the committee reported the expenditures:
Land $2,000.00
Building $13,541.16
Furniture $1,474.10
Celebration $105.90
Total Expense: $17,122.16


In 1882, an extension was added for cooking accommodations and water for use by clubs and private parties. In 1902, a lobby was designed with ornamental winding staircases and tinted walls. The Town Seal was placed in the mosaic floor.


During WWII, the second floor was subdivided into office space. Several plans to raze the building were thwarted in the 1950s and 1960s.


In 1989, the facility was completely renovated adding air-conditioning. The building is now available for wedding receptions, theater performances, and banquets. There is still a Post Office substation on the first floor. A "Rededication Ceremony for the Andover Town House" was held on May 6, 1989.

...Andover Town House Rededication Ceremony, May 6, 1989.... click to enlarge
...Andover Town House Rededication Ceremony, May 6, 1989.... click to enlarge




See

  • Andover Advertiser, September 4, 1858.
  • Andover Advertiser, November 20, 1858.
  • Andover Advertiser, December 25, 1858.
  • Andover Advertiser, January 1, 1859.
  • "Andover considers ways to save old Town Hall", Eagle Tribune, November 25, 1986.
  • Andover Townsman, April 27, 1989
  • Andover Townsman, May 4, 1989, p. 6+
  • "Sentimental journey for hall", Andover Townsman, July 21, 2005.
  • "Is there new revenue in Andover's Old Town Hall?", Eagle Tribune, March 18, 2008.

Andover Town House Function Room

Andover Vertical File--Historic Houses--Town House


--Glenda 10:03, January 26, 2007 (EST)
--Kim 16:32, March 14, 2012 (EDT)

back to Main Page