Difference between pages "Old Town House" and "Tercentennial Celebration"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
m
 
Line 1: Line 1:
On March 1, 1858, a committee was appointed to choose a site for and to consider building a Town House.  The land was chosen and purchased from Mr. W. Philip Foster for $2,000.  The Town House was built in 1858 at a cost of $15,500 and is located on Main Street in the middle of town. 
+
Andover's Tercentennial was celebrated on Thursday, May 30, 1946 through Sunday June 2, 1946.  
 
+
 
+
The architect was Theodore Volkers and the contractors were Abbott & Clement.  The building was described as a "spacious hall in the second story, with a small gallery and four anterooms. In the first floor, a smaller hall, also a post office room, treasurer's and selectmen's room with a fire-proof safe, and a small room to rent as an office or store."  In a committee report made on December 20, 1858, the building was described as 55ft by 86ft long.
+
 
+
 
+
On May 7, 1860, the committee reported the expenditures:<br>
+
Land $2,000.00<br>
+
Building $13,541.16<br>
+
Furniture $1,474.10<br>
+
Celebration $105.90<br>
+
Total Expense: $17,122.16<br>
+
 
+
 
+
In 1882, an extension was added for cooking accommodations and water for use by clubs and private parties.  In 1902, a lobby was designed with ornamental winding staircases and tinted walls.  The Town Seal was placed in the mosaic floor.
+
 
+
 
+
During WWII, the second floor was subdivided into office space.  Several plans to raze the building were thwarted in the 1950s and 1960s.
+
 
+
 
+
In 1989, the facility was completely renovated adding air-conditioning.  The building is now available for wedding receptions, theater performances, and banquets. There is still a Post Office substation on the first floor.  A "Rededication Ceremony for the Andover Town House" was held on May 6, 1989.
+
 
+
[[Image:Andover_Town_House_Rededication.jpg|thumb|...''Andover Town House Rededication Ceremony, May 6, 1989''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
 
+
[[Image:Andover_Town_House_Rededication_Ceremony.jpg|thumb|...''Andover Town House Rededication Ceremony, May 6, 1989''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
 
+
 
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
 
+
 
+
 
See
 
See
*''Andover Advertiser'', September 4, 1858.
+
*[http://catalog.mvlc.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=12S857718BB34.6443&profile=man&source=~!horizon&view=subscriptionsummary&uri=full=3100001~!6355~!1&ri=2&aspect=subtab783&menu=search&ipp=20&spp=20&staffonly=&term=andover+what+it+was&index=.ET&uindex=&aspect=subtab783&menu=search&ri=2#focus  ''Andover: What it Was, What it is: 300th Anniversary''<br style="clear:both;"] 974.45 And
 
+
*A Microfilm of the tercentennial celebration can be found at the end of the Townsman microfilm.
*''Andover Advertiser'', November 20, 1858.
+
 
+
*''Andover Advertiser'', December 25, 1858.
+
 
+
*''Andover Advertiser'', January 1, 1859.  
+
 
+
* "Andover considers ways to save old Town Hall", ''Eagle Tribune'', November 25, 1986.
+
 
+
* ''Andover Townsman'', April 27, 1989
+
 
+
* ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 1989, p. 6+
+
 
+
*"Sentimental journey for hall", ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 2005.
+
 
+
*"Is there new revenue in Andover's Old Town Hall?", ''Eagle Tribune'', March 18, 2008.
+
 
+
[http://andoverma.gov/facilities/rentals/townhouse.php Andover Town House Function Room ]
+
  
Andover Vertical File--Historic Houses--Town House
 
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:57, November 18, 2009 (EST)
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 10:03, January 26, 2007 (EST)<br>
+
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 16:32, March 14, 2012 (EDT)
+
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 17:09, 18 November 2009

Andover's Tercentennial was celebrated on Thursday, May 30, 1946 through Sunday June 2, 1946. See


--Eleanor 15:57, November 18, 2009 (EST)

back to Main Page