Difference between pages "AVIS Andover Village Improvement Society" and "Parks"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
*Andover Village Improvement Society (AVIS) was founded in 1894 by a concerned group of citizens as part of a national movement to improve living conditions in an age of industrialization.
+
== History of Parks ==
 +
Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods.  Shrubs and bushes were also planted.  But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.  
  
*A.V.I.S. merged with the Indian Ridge Association in 1917.
+
The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.
 
+
*AVIS is the second oldest land trust and conservation organization in the country.  Only Beverly's Trustees of the Reservation, chartered in 1892, is older.
+
 
+
*One early project was to conserve a glacial deposit known as Indian Ridge.
+
 
+
*After World War II, from the mid 1950's through the 1960's and 1970's, there was concern that, with so much construction little or no open space would remain in Andover. Harold Rafton and others pursued the acquisition of properties through gift and purchase, vastly increasing AVIS acreage and the number of reservations.
+
**Deer Jump Reservation is 92.6 acres and stretches 2.3 miles along the bank of the Merrimack River. Four tracts of land purchased 1960 and 1961 make up this reservation.
+
**Vale Reservation is located between the railroad tracts and the Shawsheen River in Ballardvale. This land was purchased in 1959.
+
**Shawsheen River Reservation is comprised of 26 acres of open grassland starting at the "Horn Bridge and running along the Shawsheen River.  The land was purchased in 1963.
+
**Indian Ridge Reservation, Baker's Meadow, is 3 parcels of land obtained at 3 different times: 1900,1958, and 1963.
+
**High Plain Reservation is 172 acres at the junction of I93 and I495.  It was purchased in 1963.
+
 
+
*AVIS is run by a 15 member volunteer board. Many more wardens, committee members and scouts help to maintain and improve the reservations.
+
  
 +
See
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 206.
  
[[File:test.jpg|200px|thumb|left|alt text]]
+
== Andover Park 2000 ==
 +
Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street.  It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.
  
 
See
 
See
  
*[http://www.avisandover.org/ AVIS website]
+
* ''Andover Townsman'', June 22, 2000.
  
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=422060&t=avis&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=11&rt=title AVIS, a History in Conservation.] by Juliet Haines Mofford, 1980.
+
* Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.
  
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=indian%20ridge&ft=&l=5&d=0&f=&av= Indian Ridge Scrapbook: Clippings Relating to Indian Ridge, Mass.] compiled by Alice Buck.
 
  
*"Andover Village Improvement Society", August 1964.
+
== Castle Park ==
*"Merrimack reservation is brought back to life," ''Eagle Tribune'', August 12, 1979, p. B3.
+
Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with [[Wood Garden]] was a 350th celebration activity.  It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.
  
*"Conservation Land Improved," ''Andover Townsman'', August 14, 1986, p. 26.
+
See
 +
* [http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11490T9973U33.20531&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=celebrating+350&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Celebrating 350 Years, Andover Massachusetts, 1996: An Anniversary Journal''], page 49 (974.45 Cel)
 +
* Andover Townsman, "Castle Park to be Dedicated Next Weekend", page 23.
  
*"Conservation an expensive fight, even in 1897," ''Andover Townsman'', December 7, 1989, p. 10.
 
  
*"It's a bird watcher's haven," ''Andover Townsman'', December 28, 1989, p. 7.
+
== The Park, also known as Central Park ==
 +
In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town.  Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."
  
*"Harold Rafton Reservation is a favorite," ''Andover Townsman'', January 18, 1990, p. 2.
+
In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.
  
*"Goldsmith is her favorite," ''Andover Townsman'', February 22, 1990, p. 10.
+
The Bandstand in Central Park was originally constructed in 1913. According to Community Services Librarian, Norma Gammon, the design was changed in the 1980's.
  
*"Two unusual AVIS treasures are close by: Skug River and Hammond Reservation," ''Andover Townsman'', March 8, 1990, p. 10.
+
[[File:bandstand.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Bandstand in Central Park. This picture is from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1988, page 73A]]
  
*"Following the Skug River to the Taft," ''Andover Townsman'', March 15, 1990, p. 31.
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*"AVIS will be 100 years old in 1994," ''Andover Townsman'', March 29, 1990, p. 38.
+
See
 +
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=6355&t=What%20it%20was%2C%20what%20it%20is%3A%20300th&tp=title&d=0&hc=1&rt=title Andover, ''What it was, what it is: 300th Anniversary May 30, - June 2, 1946''] published by the Andover Townsman Press.
 +
*"A Park by Any Other Name", ''Townsman'' ("The Back Page") , December 29, 2005
 +
*"Recalling high, low bandstand moments," ''Andover Townsman'', October 18, 2012, p. 10.
  
*"AVIS works to buy meadow," ''Andover Townsman'', May 10, 1990, p. 6.
 
  
*"AVIS' Purdon Reservation: Five acres of history," ''Andover Townsman'', October 31, 1991, p. 6.
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*"Georgia Stanley was eager to protect family land," ''Andover Townsman'', November 21, 1991.
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:53, March 14, 2006 (EST)
 +
<br>
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:23, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
  
*"Visiting the magical AVIS Sanborn Reservation," ''Andover Townsman'', may 7, 1992, p. 60.
+
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 +
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
  
*"100 years of saving the land: How AVIS has kept Andover Andover," ''Eagle Tribune'', December 12, 1993, p. 1.
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*"AVIS: 100 years conserving land," ''Andover Townsman'', January 27, 1994, p. 1.
 
  
*"AVIS acquires more Taft land," ''Andover Townsman'', August 28, 1997.
+
See
 
+
*"Light is gold, the vistas wide: Ward Reservation," ''Boston Globe'', November 2, 1997.
+
 
+
*"Taft property makes nice hike," ''Andover Townsman'', December 18, 1997, p. 43.
+
 
+
*"In Andover: land, lots of land, for public use," ''Boston Sunday Globe'', April 14, 2002, p. M 20.
+
 
+
*"AVIS sues man who allegedly cut trees," ''Andover Townsman'', June 20, 2002.
+
  
*"Suit asks: Who had right to chop trees?," ''Eagle Tribune'', June 21, 2002, p. 1.
+
*"Park's name splits townies, newcomers," ''Eagle Tribune'', November 28, 2005, page 1.
 +
*Past and Present. ''Andover Townsman'', December 8, 2005.
 +
*"'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," ''Andover Townsman'', November 21, 2013, p. 15.
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
  
*"AVIS Keeping Andover Green,"  ''Eagle Tribune'', July 6, 2004, pages 9, 10.
+
[[Image:park1.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge ]]
 +
[[Image:park2.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge ]]
  
*"Group, tree-cutter agree to $24,000 settlement," ''Eagle Tribune'', October 19, 2004, p. 13.
 
  
*"Reserving their place in history: Conservation land renamed after retiring improvement society members," ''Eagle Tribune'', March 9, 2005, p. 11.
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*"Peggy Keck and Nat Smith honored: AVIS names reservations after two open-space pioneers," ''Andover Townsman'', March 10, 2005, p. 5.
+
== Penguin Park ==
 +
*"Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," ''Boston Globe'', May 13, 1990, p. 1.
  
*"Era ends at AVIS, leadership changes," ''Eagle Tribune'', April 24, 2005, p. C7.
 
  
*"Boardwalks to connect more open spaces," ''Andover Townsman'', August 18, 2005.
+
== Peter Aumais Park ==
 +
The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000
  
*"Heightened senses at Andover's Ward Reservation," ''Eagle Tribune'', October 1, 2006.
+
*See
  
*"Scenic stops around each corner at Goldsmith Woodlands," ''November 12, 2006.
+
''Andover Townsman'', Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.  
  
*"Triple the pleasure when you go exploring Andover's outdoors," ''Eagle Tribune'', December 17, 2006.
+
Peter Aumais Park Dedicated. ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 2000, page 44.
  
*"Volunteers rescue trail, AVIS footbridge: Taking the bridge from beavers," ''Andover Townsman'', January 18, 2007, p. 19.
 
  
*"AVIS Recognized for Preserving Town's Natural Resources," ''Andover Townsman'', April 19, 2012, page S7.
+
== Shawsheen River Park ==
 +
The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).
  
*"Storms throughout history cause devastation of town trees," ''Andover Townsman'', January 3, 2013, page 10.
 
  
*"A trail of possibilities: First let of Greenway readies to open," ''Andover Townsman'', April 18, 2013, p. 1.
+
 +
== William Wood Memorial Park ==
 +
See [[Wood Garden]]
  
*"A gift for the outdoors: Nature lover leaves $62,700 to AVIS," ''Andover Townsman'', December 12, 2013, p. 1.
 
  
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)<br>
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST),br.
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:50, 18 December 2015 (EST)
  
<!-- insert signature here, if desired --
+
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 11:05, September 5, 2012 (EDT)
+
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 13:50, 18 December 2015

History of Parks

Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods. Shrubs and bushes were also planted. But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.

The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.

See

Andover Park 2000

Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street. It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.

See

  • Andover Townsman, June 22, 2000.
  • Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.


Castle Park

Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with Wood Garden was a 350th celebration activity. It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.

See


The Park, also known as Central Park

In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town. Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."

In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.

The Bandstand in Central Park was originally constructed in 1913. According to Community Services Librarian, Norma Gammon, the design was changed in the 1980's.

Bandstand in Central Park. This picture is from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1988, page 73A


See



--Eleanor 16:53, March 14, 2006 (EST)
--Eleanor (talk) 14:23, 22 October 2015 (EDT)

back to Main Page



See

  • "Park's name splits townies, newcomers," Eagle Tribune, November 28, 2005, page 1.
  • Past and Present. Andover Townsman, December 8, 2005.
  • "'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," Andover Townsman, November 21, 2013, p. 15.
  • Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge
Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge



Penguin Park

  • "Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," Boston Globe, May 13, 1990, p. 1.


Peter Aumais Park

The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000

  • See

Andover Townsman, Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.

Peter Aumais Park Dedicated. Andover Townsman, May 4, 2000, page 44.


Shawsheen River Park

The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).


William Wood Memorial Park

See Wood Garden



--Eleanor 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)
--Eleanor 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST),br. --Eleanor (talk) 13:50, 18 December 2015 (EST)

back to Main Page