Difference between pages "Andover Townsman" and "Parks"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The ''Andover Townsman'' began publication on October 14, 1887 and was located on 37 Main Street.
+
== History of Parks ==
 +
Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods.  Shrubs and bushes were also planted.  But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.  
  
[[Image:Front_page.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Front page from the first issue of the Andover Townsman. This picture can be found on page 16A of the Centennial Issue of the ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 1988.]]
+
The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.
  
<br style="clear:both;" /
+
See
John N. Cole, an original owner, believing that Andover should have a newspaper of its own, bought Andover Press, which had published the Andover Adveriser. The Townsman was  actually Andover's 3rd weekly paper.  The Journal of Humanity and Herald of the American Temperance Society ran from 1829-1833.  The Andover Advertiser ran from 1853 to 1866.  
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 206.
  
The Andover Press also featured a print shop and a small book store.  
+
== Andover Park 2000 ==
 +
Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street.  It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.
  
The second editor was John Cole's son Philip. Bessie Goldsmith worked for the paper in the 1920's.
+
See
  
In 1935 Elmer Grover bought the controlling interest and changed the name to Townsman Press, Inc. He  also changed the format to a news magazine style, patterned the paper after ''Life Magazine''.
+
* ''Andover Townsman'', June 22, 2000.
  
In 1947 the paper was sold to Josiah K. Lily who returned the paper to its original format.  
+
* Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.
  
In 1949 the paper was sold to Irving E. Rogers Sr.; Irving Rogers Jr. took over in 1982.
 
  
It was later sold to Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc. of Montgomery, Alabama which is part of the North of Boston Media Group.
+
== Castle Park ==
 +
Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with [[Wood Garden]] was a 350th celebration activity.  It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.
  
The Centennial Issue of the Andover Townsman was published July 21, 1988. The special issue is a retrospective of town history.
+
See
 +
* [http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11490T9973U33.20531&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=celebrating+350&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Celebrating 350 Years, Andover Massachusetts, 1996: An Anniversary Journal''], page 49 (974.45 Cel)
 +
* Andover Townsman, "Castle Park to be Dedicated Next Weekend", page 23.
  
  
[[Image:AndoverTownsman.jpg|200px|thumb|left|The Andover Townsman Office in the 1950'sThis photo is found in the Centennial Issue of the ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 1988.]]
+
== The Park, also known as Central Park ==
 +
In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of townThrough the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."
  
[[Image:AndoverTownsman.jpg|thumb|...''Andover Townsman Office in the 1950's''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.
[[Image:decorationday.jpg|thumb|...''Cocoanut and Decoration Day''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
 
 +
The Bandstand in Central Park was originally constructed in 1913. According to Community Services Librarian, Norma Gammon, the design was changed in the 1980's.
 +
 
 +
[[File:bandstand.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Bandstand in Central Park. This picture is from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1988, page 73A]]
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
See  
+
See
 +
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=6355&t=What%20it%20was%2C%20what%20it%20is%3A%20300th&tp=title&d=0&hc=1&rt=title Andover, ''What it was, what it is: 300th Anniversary May 30, - June 2, 1946''] published by the Andover Townsman Press.
 +
*"A Park by Any Other Name", ''Townsman'' ("The Back Page") , December 29, 2005
 +
*"Recalling high, low bandstand moments," ''Andover Townsman'', October 18, 2012, p. 10.
  
* ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 1988
 
* "History and Headlines for the Townsman", Advertising Supplement, the ''Andover Townsman'', May 28, 1992, page 2 A.
 
  
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20century%20of%20change&tp=title&l=5&d=1&hc=1&rt=title ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) pages 136 & 137.
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
* "History and Headlines from the Townsman", Advertising Supplement, ''The Andover Townsman'', May 28, 1992, page 2A.
+
  
*"In a century of change, the Townsman has been there," ''Andover Townsman'', October 7, 1999, p. 13A.
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:53, March 14, 2006 (EST)
 +
<br>
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:23, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
  
*"Town seeks newspaper racks bylaw," ''Andover Townsman'', February 2, 2006.
+
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 +
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
  
*"Chronicling the town's news for 127 years," ''Andover Townsman'', October 30, 2014, p.18.
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 12:56, November 24, 2006 (EST)<!-- insert signature here, if desired --><br>
 
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 10:57, November 7, 2014 (EST)
 
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:12, 26 March 2015 (EDT)
+
See
<br>
+
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:13, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
+
*"Park's name splits townies, newcomers," ''Eagle Tribune'', November 28, 2005, page 1.
 +
*Past and Present. ''Andover Townsman'', December 8, 2005.
 +
*"'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," ''Andover Townsman'', November 21, 2013, p. 15.
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
 +
 
 +
[[Image:park1.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge ]]
 +
[[Image:park2.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge ]]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 
 +
== Penguin Park ==
 +
*"Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," ''Boston Globe'', May 13, 1990, p. 1.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== Peter Aumais Park ==
 +
The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000
 +
 
 +
*See
 +
 
 +
''Andover Townsman'', Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.
 +
 
 +
Peter Aumais Park Dedicated. ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 2000, page 44. 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== Shawsheen River Park ==
 +
The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 +
== William Wood Memorial Park ==
 +
See [[Wood Garden]]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)<br>
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST),br.
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:50, 18 December 2015 (EST)
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 13:50, 18 December 2015

History of Parks

Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods. Shrubs and bushes were also planted. But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.

The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.

See

Andover Park 2000

Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street. It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.

See

  • Andover Townsman, June 22, 2000.
  • Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.


Castle Park

Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with Wood Garden was a 350th celebration activity. It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.

See


The Park, also known as Central Park

In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town. Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."

In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.

The Bandstand in Central Park was originally constructed in 1913. According to Community Services Librarian, Norma Gammon, the design was changed in the 1980's.

Bandstand in Central Park. This picture is from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1988, page 73A


See



--Eleanor 16:53, March 14, 2006 (EST)
--Eleanor (talk) 14:23, 22 October 2015 (EDT)

back to Main Page



See

  • "Park's name splits townies, newcomers," Eagle Tribune, November 28, 2005, page 1.
  • Past and Present. Andover Townsman, December 8, 2005.
  • "'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," Andover Townsman, November 21, 2013, p. 15.
  • Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge
Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge



Penguin Park

  • "Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," Boston Globe, May 13, 1990, p. 1.


Peter Aumais Park

The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000

  • See

Andover Townsman, Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.

Peter Aumais Park Dedicated. Andover Townsman, May 4, 2000, page 44.


Shawsheen River Park

The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).


William Wood Memorial Park

See Wood Garden



--Eleanor 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)
--Eleanor 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST),br. --Eleanor (talk) 13:50, 18 December 2015 (EST)

back to Main Page