Difference between pages "Cemeteries in Andover" and "Parks"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The first documented gravestone in Andover was placed at South Church in 1711.
+
== History of Parks ==
 +
Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods.  Shrubs and bushes were also planted.  But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.  
  
 +
The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.
  
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=640791 Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy]
+
See
**Originally the cemetery for the Andover Theological Seminary
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 206.
**First burial was in 1810.
+
**Those buried include: Harriet Beecher Stowe; John Dove; Alice Buck; Elizabeth Stuart Phelps and Warren Draper.
+
***See "A little cemetery - a lot of history," ''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 2013, p. 16.
+
  
 +
== Andover Park 2000 ==
 +
Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street.  It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.
  
*[http://www.christchurchandover.org/ Christ Church Cemetery - Episcopal]
+
See
**Located at 25 Central Street.
+
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1840.
+
  
 +
* ''Andover Townsman'', June 22, 2000.
  
*Cornelius Gould Farm Cemetery
+
* Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.
**Contains only three gravestones and a few unmarked graves: Cornelius Gould, Lydia Gould, and Emerson Gould.
+
**When the boundary line between Andover and North Reading was established in 1904, a portion of the Gould Farm was in North Reading.  The cemetery is in this portion.
+
  
  
*Jenkins Family Cemetery
+
== Castle Park ==
**Located off Douglas Road near the Jenkins Farmhouse.
+
Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with [[Wood Garden]] was a 350th celebration activity. It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1752.
+
**Only 6 grave stones remain all direct descendants of Rev. John Woodbridge, the first minister of Andover.
+
***The remains of the Jenkins family were removed and place in the William Jenkins Lot of the Spring Grove Cemetery.
+
  
[[Image:Jenkins.jpg|thumb|...Woodbridge and Jenkins Family Cemetery.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
See
 +
* [http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11490T9973U33.20531&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=celebrating+350&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Celebrating 350 Years, Andover Massachusetts, 1996: An Anniversary Journal''], page 49 (974.45 Cel)
 +
* Andover Townsman, "Castle Park to be Dedicated Next Weekend", page 23.
  
<br style="clear:both;"/>
 
<br style="clear:both;"/>
 
  
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=640791 Phillips Academy Chapel Cemetery]
+
== The Park, also known as Central Park ==
**Located on Chapel Avenue.
+
In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town.  Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."
**The burying ground of Andover Theological Seminary.
+
  
 +
In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.
  
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=91539&CScntry=4&CSst=21&CScnty=1177&CSsr=281& Sacred Heart Cemetery]
+
The Bandstand in Central Park was originally constructed in 1913. According to Community Services Librarian, Norma Gammon, the design was changed in the 1980's.
**Located at 80 Corbett Road in the Shawsheen section of Andover.
+
**A member of the Catholic Cemetery Association
+
+
  
*[http://staugustineparish.org/church_home.html St. Augustine's Church Cemetery]  
+
[[File:bandstand.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Bandstand in Central Park. This picture is from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1988, page 73A]]
**Located off Lupine Road; office at 43 Essex Street.
+
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1855.
+
  
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*[http://www.northparish.org/index.php North Parish Burial Ground in North Andover]
+
See
**First burial ground established in Andover.  Andover split into the North Parish (North Andover) and South Parish (Andover) in 1855.
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=6355&t=What%20it%20was%2C%20what%20it%20is%3A%20300th&tp=title&d=0&hc=1&rt=title Andover, ''What it was, what it is: 300th Anniversary May 30, - June 2, 1946''] published by the Andover Townsman Press.  
**[http://hne-rs.s3.amazonaws.com/filestore/1/2/9/1/1_40bc7622deefd6a/12911_e6dfb13f33ac7fb.pdf"The Old Burial Ground on Academy Road, North Andover]
+
*"A Park by Any Other Name", ''Townsman'' ("The Back Page") , December 29, 2005
 +
*"Recalling high, low bandstand moments," ''Andover Townsman'', October 18, 2012, p. 10.
  
  
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=91565 Saint Francis Seminary Cemetery]
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:53, March 14, 2006 (EST)
 +
<br>
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:23, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
  
*[http://www.southchurch.com/cemetery/index.html South Church Cemetery]
+
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
**Located at the corner of Central and School Streets (41 Central Street)
+
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
**Oldest cemetery in Andover
+
**First burial was Robert Russell in 1710.
+
**See [[South Church (Parish)]]
+
**[http://www.southchurch.com/cemetery/ List of people buried in South Church Cemetery]
+
[[File:southchurchmap.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Map of South Parish Cemetery]]
+
[[File:Memorial.jpg|200px|thumb|center|List of Memorials in South Parish Cemetery]]
+
  
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
  
 +
See
  
*[http://andoverma.gov/facilities/cemetery/ Spring Grove Cemetery]
+
*"Park's name splits townies, newcomers," ''Eagle Tribune'', November 28, 2005, page 1.
**Located on Abbot Street.
+
*Past and Present. ''Andover Townsman'', December 8, 2005.
**This is the Andover town cemetery.  At the annual town meeting on March 1, 1869, it was voted to purchase land for the cemetery. Graves in this cemetery date back to 1871.  A history of the cemetery is contained in a pamphlet entited "Spring Grove Cemetery: Information and rules and regulations, June 30, 1941.  
+
*"'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," ''Andover Townsman'', November 21, 2013, p. 15.
**An online search by name is located on the town's website [http://andoverma.gov/facilities/cemetery/search.php Spring Grove Cemetery search]
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
  
 +
[[Image:park1.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge ]]
 +
[[Image:park2.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge ]]
  
*[http://www.jcam.org/Pages/Cemeteries_New/Cemetery_Pages_08/Lawrence_Mt_Vernon.html Temple Emanuel Cemetery]
 
**Corbett and Mount Vernon Street
 
  
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
*[http://www.westparishgardencemetery.org/ West Parish Cemetery]
+
== Penguin Park ==
**Located at 129 Reservation Road.
+
*"Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," ''Boston Globe'', May 13, 1990, p. 1.
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1692 & 1751.
+
  
  
*Woodbridge Family Graveyard
+
== Peter Aumais Park ==
**Behind 89 Jenkins Road
+
The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000
**Only 12 stones remain in this unused family graveyard.
+
**Originally the Samuel Jenkins family was buried there.  They have all been reinterred at Spring Grove.
+
**The town adopted the cemetery at the 2002 town meeting.
+
**For list see Jenkins Family above
+
  
See  
+
*See
  
*"Buried here (famous Andover residents)," ''Andover Townsman'', October 26, 1995, p. 1.
+
''Andover Townsman'', Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.  
*"Historic Undertaking: Repairing stones is grave matter," ''Andover Townsman'', February 21, 2002, p.1.
+
*"Revolutionary War-era cemetery now town's," ''Andover Townsman'', April 25, 2002.
+
*"Revolutionary War era cemetery is town's: Woodbridge Jenkins Cemetery," ''Andover Townsman'', May 2, 2002, p. 22.
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/26062?query=farm%20and%20neighborhood%20cemeteries;qtype=keyword;fi%3Asearch_format=;locg=5 "Farm and Neighborhood Cemeteries of Andover and North Andover, Mass, Including Stone Inscriptions"] by Lenora White McQuesten.
+
*"Finding roots in Andover," ''Eagle Tribune'', January 11, 2009, p. 9.
+
*[http://andover.essexcountyma.net/cemeteryindex.html Andover Church and Cemetery Guide]
+
  
 +
Peter Aumais Park Dedicated. ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 2000, page 44. 
  
See also
 
  
*[http://andover.essexcountyma.net/cemeteryindex.html Andover Church and Cemetery Guide]
+
== Shawsheen River Park ==
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=32772&t=guide%20to%20cemeteries%20in%20massachusetts&tp=keyword&l=5&d=1&hc=2&rt=keyword Guide to Cemeteries in Essex County Massachusetts] R929.5 Gui (The information for Andover is in the Andover File -- Cemeteries.)
+
The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).
  
*[http://andoverhistorical.org/ The Andover Historical Society] has a list of cemetery inventories for Christ Church, St. Augustine's, Phillips Academy Chapel, Spring Grove, West Parish cemeteries.
 
  
 +
 +
== William Wood Memorial Park ==
 +
See [[Wood Garden]]
  
  
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:41, June 13, 2006 and December 2, 2014 (EDT)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)<br>
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 20:38, December 12, 2012 (EST)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST),br.
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 10:52, 18 March 2015 (EDT)
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:50, 18 December 2015 (EST)
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 13:50, 18 December 2015

History of Parks

Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods. Shrubs and bushes were also planted. But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.

The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.

See

Andover Park 2000

Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street. It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.

See

  • Andover Townsman, June 22, 2000.
  • Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.


Castle Park

Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with Wood Garden was a 350th celebration activity. It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.

See


The Park, also known as Central Park

In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town. Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."

In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.

The Bandstand in Central Park was originally constructed in 1913. According to Community Services Librarian, Norma Gammon, the design was changed in the 1980's.

Bandstand in Central Park. This picture is from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1988, page 73A


See



--Eleanor 16:53, March 14, 2006 (EST)
--Eleanor (talk) 14:23, 22 October 2015 (EDT)

back to Main Page



See

  • "Park's name splits townies, newcomers," Eagle Tribune, November 28, 2005, page 1.
  • Past and Present. Andover Townsman, December 8, 2005.
  • "'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," Andover Townsman, November 21, 2013, p. 15.
  • Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge
Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge



Penguin Park

  • "Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," Boston Globe, May 13, 1990, p. 1.


Peter Aumais Park

The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000

  • See

Andover Townsman, Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.

Peter Aumais Park Dedicated. Andover Townsman, May 4, 2000, page 44.


Shawsheen River Park

The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).


William Wood Memorial Park

See Wood Garden



--Eleanor 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)
--Eleanor 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST),br. --Eleanor (talk) 13:50, 18 December 2015 (EST)

back to Main Page