Difference between pages "Andover Classical Charter School in Andover" and "Parks"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "In the 1997 there was a proposal by a group of townspeople lead by Susan Dalton to create The Andover Classical Charter School to alleviate overcrowding in the Andover middle...")
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
In the 1997 there was a proposal by a group of townspeople lead by Susan Dalton to create The Andover Classical Charter School to alleviate overcrowding in the Andover middle schools based on Hirsch Goal Setting Curriculum. The proposed site was the Franciscan Center on River Road. Dalton  advocated a Commonwealth Charter school (one that is not governed by local school committee) not a Horace Mann Charter School (one that is governed by local school committee).
+
== History of Parks ==
 +
Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods. Shrubs and bushes were also planted.  But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.  
  
 +
The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.
  
The State Department of Education would not award a charter to the Andover Classical Charter School calling the teaching methods proposed too progressive
+
See
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 206.
 +
 
 +
== Andover Park 2000 ==
 +
Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street.  It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.
  
 
See
 
See
*"Advocates Planning for a Charter Middle School', ''Andover Townsman'', September 25, 1997, page 6 and 37.
+
 
*“Why Charter School? Why Here?, ''Andover Townsman'', October 30, 1997, page 1 and 31.
+
* ''Andover Townsman'', June 22, 2000.
*“Andover Charter School Would Cut Crowding”, ''Andover Townsman'', page A1.
+
 
*"Andover Enters Unchartered Waters", Andover Townsman, April 16, 1998, page 13.
+
* Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== Castle Park ==
 +
Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with [[Wood Garden]] was a 350th celebration activity.  It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.
 +
 
 +
See
 +
* [http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=11490T9973U33.20531&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=celebrating+350&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Celebrating 350 Years, Andover Massachusetts, 1996: An Anniversary Journal''], page 49 (974.45 Cel)
 +
* Andover Townsman, "Castle Park to be Dedicated Next Weekend", page 23.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== The Park, also known as Central Park ==
 +
In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town. Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."
 +
 
 +
In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.
 +
 
 +
The Bandstand in Central Park was originally constructed in 1913. According to Community Services Librarian, Norma Gammon, the design was changed in the 1980's.
 +
 
 +
[[File:bandstand.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Bandstand in Central Park. This picture is from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1988, page 73A]]
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 
 +
See
 +
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=6355&t=What%20it%20was%2C%20what%20it%20is%3A%20300th&tp=title&d=0&hc=1&rt=title Andover, ''What it was, what it is: 300th Anniversary May 30, - June 2, 1946''] published by the Andover Townsman Press.
 +
*"A Park by Any Other Name", ''Townsman'' ("The Back Page") , December 29, 2005
 +
*"Recalling high, low bandstand moments," ''Andover Townsman'', October 18, 2012, p. 10.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:53, March 14, 2006 (EST)
 +
<br>
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:23, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
 +
 
 +
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 +
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 
 +
 
 +
See
 +
 
 +
*"Park's name splits townies, newcomers," ''Eagle Tribune'', November 28, 2005, page 1.
 +
*Past and Present. ''Andover Townsman'', December 8, 2005.
 +
*"'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," ''Andover Townsman'', November 21, 2013, p. 15.
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=ANDOVER%20CENTURY%20OF%20CHANGE&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
 +
 
 +
[[Image:park1.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge ]]
 +
[[Image:park2.jpg|thumb||left|''Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune '', November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge ]]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 
 +
== Penguin Park ==
 +
*"Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," ''Boston Globe'', May 13, 1990, p. 1.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== Peter Aumais Park ==
 +
The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000
 +
 
 +
*See
 +
 
 +
''Andover Townsman'', Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.  
 +
 
 +
Peter Aumais Park Dedicated. ''Andover Townsman'', May 4, 2000, page 44. 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
== Shawsheen River Park ==
 +
The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 +
== William Wood Memorial Park ==
 +
See [[Wood Garden]]
  
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
<--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:57, 5 November 2015 (EST)!>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)<br>
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST),br.
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 13:50, 18 December 2015 (EST)
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 13:50, 18 December 2015

History of Parks

Andover has valued its parks for a long time. In 1897 Andover set up a Park Commission. The first project of the commission was saving trees in the Carmel Woods. Shrubs and bushes were also planted. But vandilsm in the park ended the beautification in 1933 project and trees were cut down and given to the poor.

The second project of the commission was Richardson Field, which became Central Park. See entry below.

See

Andover Park 2000

Andover Park 2000, a project of Doherty Middle School, is located in Central Park on Bartlett Street. It contains plaques of people significant in Andover history.

See

  • Andover Townsman, June 22, 2000.
  • Andover Vertical File, Andover Park 2000 booklet with timeline and tree names.


Castle Park

Castle Park is located on the banks of the Shawsheen River adjacent to the Marland Mill, now Atria Assisted-Living. The park cleanup, along with Wood Garden was a 350th celebration activity. It was dedicated on September 29, 1996.

See


The Park, also known as Central Park

In 1899 the Town of Andover purchased "Richardson Field" and a parcel of land from J.W. Berry for a park in the center of town. Through the years it has been called "Central Park, The Common, and the Park with a Gazebo, but, according to the Andover Historical Society, the official name is just "The Park."

In 1906 Rodgers Brook was dammed to create a pond in the Park. The brook was diverted to an underground pipe running through downtown Andover in 1968.

The Bandstand in Central Park was originally constructed in 1913. According to Community Services Librarian, Norma Gammon, the design was changed in the 1980's.

Bandstand in Central Park. This picture is from the Andover Townsman Centennial Issue, July 21, 1988, page 73A


See



--Eleanor 16:53, March 14, 2006 (EST)
--Eleanor (talk) 14:23, 22 October 2015 (EDT)

back to Main Page



See

  • "Park's name splits townies, newcomers," Eagle Tribune, November 28, 2005, page 1.
  • Past and Present. Andover Townsman, December 8, 2005.
  • "'Andoverisms' punctuate local conversations," Andover Townsman, November 21, 2013, p. 15.
  • Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, page 2006 (974.45 Ric).
Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, page 6 .....click to enlarge
Park's Name Splits Townies, Newcomers, Eagle Tribune , November 28 , 2005, end of article .....click to enlarge



Penguin Park

  • "Motley crew crafts new Andover playground," Boston Globe, May 13, 1990, p. 1.


Peter Aumais Park

The Andover High Varsity Baseball Park was dedicated in memory of Peter Aumais, 1976 team captain, on April, 26, 2000

  • See

Andover Townsman, Thursday, March 23, 2000, page 39.

Peter Aumais Park Dedicated. Andover Townsman, May 4, 2000, page 44.


Shawsheen River Park

The Andover Rotary Club adopted the old bowling green ( part of the recreational facilities of the Balmoral Spa ).


William Wood Memorial Park

See Wood Garden



--Eleanor 14:49, May 31, 2006 (EDT)
--Eleanor 11:22, December 8, 2014 (EST),br. --Eleanor (talk) 13:50, 18 December 2015 (EST)

back to Main Page