Elm Square was named after the Centennial Elm in it's center. There are seven approaches to the intersection and until 1934 a trolley ran through the intersection. The tree was removed in 1919 because it was determined to be a traffic hazard.
- Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, pages 10 and 134 (974.45 Ric).
- Attached article, "Elm Square Part of the Problem," Andover Townsman, November 2, 2000
- Attached article, "Centennial Elm Removed," by Charlotte Abbott