Flood - May 2006
Twelve inches of rain fell in Andover in three days - Saturday, May 13, through Monday, May 16. It was Mother's Day weekend. The highest serge of the Shawsheen River was 8.63 feet above normal. 10 major roads were flooded, including High Plain Road, Main Street from Shawsheen Square to Stevens Street, River Street, and Riverina Road. The Washington Park Condiminiums, The Balmoral Condominiums, and Atria Marland Place were among the structures that were evacuated. The Balmoral Condiminiums were heavily damaged.
Balmoral Condiminiums did not reopen until the fall of 2006. On Saturday, December 9, 2006, the Trustees of the Balmoral organized a fundraiser to help residents of the condiminium defray reconstruction costs.
- Page 1 of the Andover Townsman, May 18, 2006
- "A Foot of Rain! Emergency Declared, But no Locals Injured in Flooding"
- "Flood Costs Tallied as Cleanup Begins"
- "Washington Park Condo Residents are Evacuated"
- "Restored - Again!" Andover Townsman, December 21, 2006, page 19.
- "Rivers Rage", Eagle Tribune, May 15, 2006. page 1+
- "Will it hold?", Eagle Tibune, May 16, 2006, page 1+
- Articles in Eagle Tribune May 15-May 21, 2006 for coverage of the Flood.