Difference between pages "Andover Day" and "November Club"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (New page: Andover Bazaar Days was renamed Andover Day in 2006, which takes place in September and is sponsored by the Andover Business Center Association. [http://www.andoverbusinesses.org Andover ...)
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Andover Bazaar Days was renamed Andover Day in 2006, which takes place in September and is sponsored by the Andover Business Center Association.
+
*The November Club was the first women's club in Andover.  It was formed in 1889 after Miss Elizabeth Handy called a meeting of 15 "well-educated, enterprising, and socially elite women" in November 1888 to discuss her idea to start a women's club.
  
[http://www.andoverbusinesses.org Andover Business Center Association]
+
*The club first met at 126 Main St., but, after 20 more women joined, moved to Abbot Hall.
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
*In February 1892 they dedicated a new clubhouse on Love Lane, now called Locke Street.
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:52, March 15, 2006 (EST)
+
*The November Club raised money for local charities, the war efforts, and to build their Locke Street clubhouse. They give dance lessons to young people, and had guest speakers.
 +
 
 +
*By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church.  The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.
 +
 
 +
*Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" '' by Karen Wakeling,Andover Historical Society. "AAndover Townsman'' January 19, 2012. p.8.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Ruth|Ruth]] 13:51, July 7, 2012 (EDT)
+
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 18:58, 18 July 2012

  • The November Club was the first women's club in Andover. It was formed in 1889 after Miss Elizabeth Handy called a meeting of 15 "well-educated, enterprising, and socially elite women" in November 1888 to discuss her idea to start a women's club.
  • The club first met at 126 Main St., but, after 20 more women joined, moved to Abbot Hall.
  • In February 1892 they dedicated a new clubhouse on Love Lane, now called Locke Street.
  • The November Club raised money for local charities, the war efforts, and to build their Locke Street clubhouse. They give dance lessons to young people, and had guest speakers.
  • By 1985 membership had fallen and the clubhouse was sold to the Unitarian Universalist Church. The money was given to Memorial Hall Library to furnish a November Club reading room.
  • Town Had First Clubhouse "for Ladies Wholly" by Karen Wakeling,Andover Historical Society. "AAndover Townsman January 19, 2012. p.8.




back to Main Page