Andover Historic Houses - Chandler-Abbot Bigsby House
The Chandler-Bigsby-Abott House, believed to be the oldest house in Andover (South Parish), was erected between 1670 and 1673. The house was built by Captain Thomas Chandler, a wealthy blacksmith, for his daughter Hannah. Chandler was one of several prominent Andover men who testified against accused witch Samuel Wardwell who was hanged in Salem in 1692.
The house is located at 88 Lowell Street. Chandler gave the house to his son-in-law, Daniel Bigsby. Additions were made in 1760 and 1800. It served as a tavern and coach stop. The Abbots bought it in 1944. Mike Ristuccia, an Andover resident known for restoring old properties, bought the house in 2006.
- Andover Townsman, October 16, 1975
- Lawrence Eagle Tribune, May 29, 1946
- Andover Historical Building Survery - Andover Special Collection
- "Oldest home in town hits the market", Andover Townsman, February 2, 2006
- "A little slice of history", Eagle Tribune, March 5, 2006.
- "Town's oldest home will be renovated, not turned: Work begins on Chandler-Bigsby-Abbott house next month", Eagle Tribune, April 5, 2006.