Powdermill Square, at the corner of Main and Stevens Streets, is on the site of a gunpowder mill founded by Samuel Phillips to manufacture gunpowder for the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. After an explosion in 1778 the mill was rebuilt using government funds. With another explosion in 1796 the mill was converted to make paper.
- "Powdermill Square", Townsman, November 1, 2001
- For information on Samuel Phillips see Phillips Academy
--Eleanor 15:20, April 2, 2009 (EDT)
back to Main Page