Difference between pages "Andersonville Prison" and "Andover Historic Houses - Almshouse"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
m (New page: Burnham Road was once called Alms Street because it ran past the poor house. The name changed about 1899 when George L. Burnham, superintendant of the Almshouse lived there. Source * And...)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
*There were 10 Civil War veterans whose records reference the notorious Confederate Prison, Andersonville. 6 have grave markers there: Thomas Bagley, George S. Farmer, George W. Grant, William S.Hall, John J Townley, and Hiram C.Travis. George C. Grant was actually from Amesbury and  died at an army field hospital.
+
Burnham Road was once called Alms Street because it ran past the poor house. The name changed about 1899 when George L. Burnham, superintendant of the Almshouse lived there.
 
+
 
+
*Charles Barnard, was paroled from the prison in such poor shape that he died on his way home to Andover.
+
 
+
 
+
*Edward Newman, who died at Andersonville, was reburied in South Church cemetery.
+
 
+
See
+
 
+
*Notorious Prison Held Andover Veterans. ''Andover Townsman'' January 3, 2008, p.13, 14.
+
  
 +
Source
 +
* Andover Historical Building Survey, Volume 3 (63 Burnham Road)(66 Burnham Road).
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 12:15, May 15, 2012 (EDT)
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:16, November 21, 2008 (EST)
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 16:42, 26 June 2012

Burnham Road was once called Alms Street because it ran past the poor house. The name changed about 1899 when George L. Burnham, superintendant of the Almshouse lived there.

Source

  • Andover Historical Building Survey, Volume 3 (63 Burnham Road)(66 Burnham Road).


--Eleanor 15:16, November 21, 2008 (EST)

back to Main Page