Difference between pages "Andover Historic Houses - 1924 House" and "Andover Historic Houses - Almshouse"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (New page: The Abbot Homestead, located at the corner of Andover Street and Argilla Road, was thought to have been built circa 1685. Benjamin Abbot, the first owner of the house, accused neighbor Ma...)
 
m (New page: Burnham Road was once called Alms Street because it ran past the poor house. The name changed about 1899 when George L. Burnham, superintendant of the Almshouse lived there. Source * And...)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The Abbot Homestead, located at the corner of Andover Street and Argilla Road, was thought to have been built circa 1685.  Benjamin Abbot, the first owner of the house, accused neighbor Martha Carrier, "Queen of Hell," of witchcraft after a boundary disputeCarrier was executed in 1692. The Public Television Station program "History Detectives" examined wood borings taken from the beams of the house and determined that it was actually built between 1703 and 1708. <p>
+
Burnham Road was once called Alms Street because it ran past the poor house.  The name changed about 1899 when George L. Burnham, superintendant of the Almshouse lived there.
  
[[Image:Benjamin_Abbot_Homestead.jpg|thumb|...''The Benjamin Abbot Homestead''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
Source
[[Image:Abbot_House.jpg|thumb|...''The Abbot House''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
* Andover Historical Building Survey, Volume 3 (63 Burnham Road)(66 Burnham Road).
[[Image:Abbot_House_1988.jpg|thumb|...''The Abbot House, photo taken in 1988''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
[[Image:Benjamin_Abbot_Homestead_Narrative,_Part_1.jpg|thumb|...''The Abbot Homestead Narrative, Part 1''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
[[Image:Benjamin_Abbot_Homestead_Narrative,_Part_2.jpg|thumb|...''The Abbot Homestead Narrative, Part 2''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
See<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:16, November 21, 2008 (EST)
* "Benjamin Abbot House is one of the Valley's Oldest," ''Eagle Tribune'', November 13, 1988.
+
* ''Andover Historical Building Survey'' - Andover Special Collection
+
* Featured in the PBS series "History Detectives" (Channel 2 July 16, 2003)
+
* "Who will buy historic Abbot home?", ''Andover Townsman'', July 22, 2004.
+
  
 
 
<br />
 
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:50, February 1, 2006 (EST)<br>
 
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 11:39, March 6, 2012 (EST)
 
<br>
 
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 16:42, 26 June 2012

Burnham Road was once called Alms Street because it ran past the poor house. The name changed about 1899 when George L. Burnham, superintendant of the Almshouse lived there.

Source

  • Andover Historical Building Survey, Volume 3 (63 Burnham Road)(66 Burnham Road).


--Eleanor 15:16, November 21, 2008 (EST)

back to Main Page