Difference between pages "Andover Biography - Abraham Marland" and "Elm Square"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Abraham Marland, born in Ashton Lancashire in 1772, is recognized as one of the founders of the textile industry in New England. He began his career as an apprentice in Lancashire and then emigrated to America in 1801 and worked first in the cotton mills in Byfield. From there he bought a small mill in Lynnfied. He eventually settled in Andover because of the water power and began manufacturing cotton then and changing to wool. During the War of 1812 his company manufactured blankets for the army.  After the war he began to manufacture flannel and leased land on the Shawsheen River where he erected a brick mill and tenement houses. This site originally housed a powder mill. He acquired more and more land on the Shawsheen River, and in 1832 built the Marland Manufacturing Company. Marland Manufacturing Company was sold to Moses T. Stevens of North Andover in July of 1870.  Stevens continued to produce flannel and woolens.
+
Elm Square was named after the Centennial Elm in it's center. There are seven approaches to the intersection and until 1934 a trolley ran through the intersection. The tree was removed in 1919 because it was determined to be a traffic hazard.  
  
Marland, an Episcopalian, was determined to have a Episcopalian Church in Andover and founded Christ Church donating the land and building a rectory in 1835.
+
See
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=Andover%20a%20Century%20of%20Change&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, pages 10 and 134 (974.45 Ric).
 +
* "The Elm House" in [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=andover%20what%20it%20was&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= Andover, What It Was, What It Is. : 300th Anniversary, May 30 - June 2, 1946], (974.45 And).
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=elm%20square&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= ''Elm Square: the photographs of Richard Graber, 1962-1969/with an introduction by Howard Yezerski, text by Richard Graber, and recollections of the people of the Town of Andover''] by Richard Graber (Andover Room R 974.45 Gra).
  
The Punchard High School is named after Marland's son-in-law Benjamin H. Punchard.  
+
*Attached article, "Elm Square Part of the Problem," ''Andover Townsman'', November 2, 2000.
 +
[[Image:Elmsquare.jpg|thumb||left| “Elm Square Part of the Problem"
 +
''Andover Townsman'', November 2, 2000.....click to enlarge ]]
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
*Attached article, "Centennial Elm Removed," by Charlotte Abbott ''Andover, Townsman'' December 5, 1919. [[Image:elmpage1.jpg|thumb||left| “Centenennial Elm Removed,''
 +
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 1.....click to enlarge ]]
 +
[[Image:elmpage5.jpg|thumb||left| “Centennial Elm Removed,''
 +
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 5.....click to enlarge ]]
 +
[[Image:elmpage7.jpg|thumb||left| “Centennial Elm Removed,''
 +
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 7.....click to enlarge ]]
  
Abraham Marland died on February 20, 1849.
 
  
See
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/487303?bool=and;bool=and;bool=and;qtype=keyword;qtype=title;qtype=author;contains=contains;contains=contains;contains=contains;query=;query=andover%20century%20of%20change;query=;locg=5;pubdate=is;date1=;date2=;sort=;_adv=1 Andover A Century of Change] by Eleanor Motely Richardson, page 84-85
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/6355?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=title%3Aandover%20what%20it%20was;qtype=keyword;locg=5;_adv=1;page=0;sort= Andover What it Was]
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/103693?bool=and;bool=and;bool=and;qtype=keyword;qtype=title;qtype=author;contains=contains;contains=contains;contains=contains;query=;query=historical%20sketches%20of%20Andover;query=;locg=5;pubdate=is;_adv=1 Historical Sketches of Andover] by Sarah Loring Bailey, p. 489 - 49
 
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
[[Image:elm3.jpg|thumb|...Elm Square before the tree before it was removed.... click to enlarge|left]]
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:05, December 26, 2012 (EST)
+
[[Image:Musgrove_Building,_1894.jpg|thumb|...''The Musgrove Building, Elm Square, circa 1894''.... click to enlarge|left]]
  
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
+
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 16:43, December 15, 2009 back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 15:23, 23 April 2015

Elm Square was named after the Centennial Elm in it's center. There are seven approaches to the intersection and until 1934 a trolley ran through the intersection. The tree was removed in 1919 because it was determined to be a traffic hazard.

See

  • Attached article, "Elm Square Part of the Problem," Andover Townsman, November 2, 2000.
“Elm Square Part of the Problem" Andover Townsman, November 2, 2000.....click to enlarge


  • Attached article, "Centennial Elm Removed," by Charlotte Abbott Andover, Townsman December 5, 1919.
    “Centenennial Elm Removed, Andover Townsman, December 5, 1919, page 1.....click to enlarge
“Centennial Elm Removed, Andover Townsman, December 5, 1919, page 5.....click to enlarge
“Centennial Elm Removed, Andover Townsman, December 5, 1919, page 7.....click to enlarge


...Elm Square before the tree before it was removed.... click to enlarge
...The Musgrove Building, Elm Square, circa 1894.... click to enlarge

--Kim 16:43, December 15, 2009 back to Main Page