Difference between pages "Andover Author - Harriet Beecher Stowe" and "Elm Square"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Harriet Beecher Stowe lived in Andover from 1852 to 1864 while her husband Calvin E. Stowe was a professor at the Andover Theological Seminary. Originally, the Stowe house was located on the property of the seminary. It was moved to 80 Bartlet Street in 1929 when Phillips Academy decided to replace the house.
+
Elm Square was named after the Centennial Elm in it's center. There are seven approaches to the intersection and until 1934 a trolley ran through the intersection. The tree was removed in 1919 because it was determined to be a traffic hazard.  
  
Stowe's famous anti-slavery novel, ''Uncle Tom's Cabin'', was first published in serial form before she moved to Andover. The book was published in 1852, while she lived in Andover.  3,000 copies sold the first day and 300,000 copies sold in the United States the first year, yielding her $10,000 in royalties.  
+
See
 
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=Andover%20a%20Century%20of%20Change&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, pages 10 and 134 (974.45 Ric).  
A little known fact is that she introduced the Christmas Tree to Andover.
+
* "The Elm House" in [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=andover%20what%20it%20was&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= Andover, What It Was, What It Is. : 300th Anniversary, May 30 - June 2, 1946], (974.45 And).
 
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=elm%20square&ft=&l=1&d=0&f=&av= ''Elm Square: the photographs of Richard Graber, 1962-1969/with an introduction by Howard Yezerski, text by Richard Graber, and recollections of the people of the Town of Andover''] by Richard Graber (Andover Room R 974.45 Gra).
Although she was born and died in Connecticut, she and her husband are buried in the Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy.
+
 
+
[[Image:Phillips_Inn_&_Harriet_Beecher_Stowe_House.jpg|thumb|...''Phillips Inn & Harriet Beecher Stowe House''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
 
+
[[Image:Stowe_House.jpg|thumb|...''The Harriet Beecher Stowe House''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
  
 +
*Attached article, "Elm Square Part of the Problem," ''Andover Townsman'', November 2, 2000.
 +
[[Image:Elmsquare.jpg|thumb||left| “Elm Square Part of the Problem"
 +
''Andover Townsman'', November 2, 2000.....click to enlarge ]]
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
*Attached article, "Centennial Elm Removed," by Charlotte Abbott ''Andover, Townsman'' December 5, 1919. [[Image:elmpage1.jpg|thumb||left| “Centenennial Elm Removed,''
 +
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 1.....click to enlarge ]]
 +
[[Image:elmpage5.jpg|thumb||left| “Centennial Elm Removed,''
 +
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 5.....click to enlarge ]]
 +
[[Image:elmpage7.jpg|thumb||left| “Centennial Elm Removed,''
 +
''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 1919, page 7.....click to enlarge ]]
  
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/772167?fi%3Aitem_type=a;query=Stowe%20Harriet%20Beecher;qtype=author;locg=5;page=1 ''Dred: A Tale of the Great Dismal Swamp'']
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/553175?fi%3Aitem_type=a;query=Stowe%20Harriet%20Beecher;qtype=author;locg=5 ''Men of Our Times'']
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/553197?fi%3Aitem_type=a;query=Stowe%20Harriet%20Beecher;qtype=author;locg=5;page=1 ''A Minister's Wooing'']
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/639225?fi%3Aitem_type=a;query=stowe%20harriet%20beecher;qtype=author;locg=5 ''The Pearl Of Orr's Island'']
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=553022&t=key%20to%20uncle%20tom's%20cabin&tp=title&l=5&d=0&f=at&hc=1&rt=title ''A Key to Uncle Tom's Cabin''.]    by Harriet Beecher Stowe  (Andover Room R 326 Sto)
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/842252?fi%3Aitem_type=a;query=Stowe%20Harriet%20Beecher;qtype=author;locg=5 ''Uncle Tom's Cabin'']
 
  
See
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=553091&t=life%20harriet%20beecher%20stowe%20compiled&tp=keyword&l=5&d=0&hc=1&rt=keyword ''Life of Harriet Beecher Stowe: Compiled from Her Letters and Journals''], by Charles Edward Stowe. (Andover Room R B Stowe, Ha.)
 
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=Andover%20a%20Century%20of%20Change&tp=keyword&l=5&d=0&hc=2&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change: 1896 - 1996''], by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 18, 19, 35, 47.
 
  
*[http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&coll=moa&view=50&root=%2Fmoa%2Fnewe%2Fnewe0021%2F&tif=00011.TIF&cite=http%3A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fmoa-cgi%3Fnotisid%3DAFJ3026-0021-3 "Harriet Beecher Stowe,"] by George Willis Cooke, ''The New England Magazine'', September 1896 (new series), page 3 - 18 
+
[[Image:elm3.jpg|thumb|...Elm Square before the tree before it was removed.... click to enlarge|left]]
*"Harriet Beecher Stowe," ''Andover Townsman,'' July 3, 1896, p.4 (death)
+
*"Burial of Mrs. Stowe," ''Andover Townsman,'' July 10, 1896
+
*"Stowe's Fame Lives on 100 Years After Death," ''Eagle Tribune'', July 3, 1996, page 1 and page 18.
+
*Andover File under Authors, Biography, and Cemeteries
+
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
+
[[Image:Musgrove_Building,_1894.jpg|thumb|...''The Musgrove Building, Elm Square, circa 1894''.... click to enlarge|left]]
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:45, August 15, 2007 (EDT)<br>
+
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 16:43, December 15, 2009 back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 10:04, November 30, 2011 (EST)
+
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
+
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 15:23, 23 April 2015

Elm Square was named after the Centennial Elm in it's center. There are seven approaches to the intersection and until 1934 a trolley ran through the intersection. The tree was removed in 1919 because it was determined to be a traffic hazard.

See

  • Attached article, "Elm Square Part of the Problem," Andover Townsman, November 2, 2000.
“Elm Square Part of the Problem" Andover Townsman, November 2, 2000.....click to enlarge


  • Attached article, "Centennial Elm Removed," by Charlotte Abbott Andover, Townsman December 5, 1919.
    “Centenennial Elm Removed, Andover Townsman, December 5, 1919, page 1.....click to enlarge
“Centennial Elm Removed, Andover Townsman, December 5, 1919, page 5.....click to enlarge
“Centennial Elm Removed, Andover Townsman, December 5, 1919, page 7.....click to enlarge


...Elm Square before the tree before it was removed.... click to enlarge
...The Musgrove Building, Elm Square, circa 1894.... click to enlarge

--Kim 16:43, December 15, 2009 back to Main Page