Difference between pages "Andover Biography - John Everett Collins" and "Garrison House"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
m (New page: George Abbot purchased land in 1663 and sometime before 1667 built a garrison house on the property. The home stood to the south of <br style="clear:both;" /> --~~~~ back to [[Main Pag...)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
John Everett Collins was known as Andover's Music Man.  Collins was born on Barnard Street (where Dolan's Market once stood) in 1894.  A talented singer and athlete, Collins played on the old Andover Royals baseball team as a catcher and left-handed batterCollins was the first person inducted into both the Andover High School Sports Hall of Fame and the Fine Arts Hall of Fame.  He met his wife, Elizabeth Abbot, in high school, class of '14.  Collins was in the class of '13. 
+
George Abbot purchased land in 1663 and sometime before 1667 built a garrison house on the propertyThe home stood to the south of  
  
Collins worked in the rubber shop that is now part of Andover Commons.  However, he always loved singing.  In 1926, he founded the Andover Male Choir.  In the early 1930's he founded the Andover Choral Society, and for decades he directed the choir at the First Calvary Baptist Church.  In 1960, he became a choral director for the Andover Schools. 
 
 
Collins spent 14 years in the legislature, one term on the Andover School Committee and 21 years as selectman.  After his wife died, he moved in with his son, Roger, daughter-in-law, Bea, and granddaughter, Nancy.
 
 
The Collins Center, named for John Everett Collins, was built in 1983 as an auditorium for Andover High School and a center for the performing arts.       
 
 
 
See
 
 
*[http://www.collins-center.com/ J. Everett Collins Center for the Performing Arts]
 
 
*[http://www.andovertownsman.com/townspeople/x106230409/Andover-Stories-A-man-born-to-do/print A *Man Born to Do.] Andover Stories: Andover Historical Society. Also in ''Andover Townsman'' 3/24/2011, p. 15.
 
*''Andover Townsman'', August 19, 2004 (Originally printed September 25, 1983).
 
 
*"Conductor tells of pre-concert jitters, and offers words of wisdom," ''Eagle Tribune'', September 26, 1983, p. 17.
 
 
*"J. Everett Collins: A life dedicated to Andover music," ''Eagle Tribune'', September 26, 1983, p. 17.
 
 
*"All but one photo showed maestro's life," ''Eagle Tribune'', September 26, 1983, p. 17.
 
 
*Andover's Beloved Musicmaster Dies: People Mistook Him for Arthur Fiedler.(photo) ''Lawrence Eagle Tribune'' 8/9/1986, p. 1, 10.
 
 
*J.Everett Collins (long obituary) ''Andover Townsman'' August 14, 1986, p.36
 
 
*Remembering Everett Collins.(interview in Bill Dalton column) ''Andover Townsman'' 8/19/2004
 
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 12:54, February 11, 2013 (EST)
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 16:33, April 17, 2010 (EDT)<br>
+
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 16:35, May 15, 2012 (EDT)<br>
+
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 09:25, July 26, 2012 (EDT)<br>
+
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 16:49, August 16, 2012 (EDT)<br>
+
--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 20:16, August 23, 2012 (EDT)<br>
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 13:54, 11 February 2013

George Abbot purchased land in 1663 and sometime before 1667 built a garrison house on the property. The home stood to the south of


--Eleanor 12:54, February 11, 2013 (EST)

back to Main Page