Difference between pages "File:8,000 Years at Shattuck.jpg" and "Shattuck Farm"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(New page: The Shattuck Farm, previosly owned and operated by the Abbot family and built in 1718, was an operating farm for 250 years. It encompassed seven distinct Native American sites at what is n...)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
The Shattuck Farm, previosly owned and operated by the Abbot family and built in 1718, was an operating farm for 250 years. It encompassed seven distinct Native American sites at what is now 125 River Road.  Before it became part of the Andover Industrial Park, an archaeological dig was commissioned. Two reports were published, "An Archaeological Survey and the Documentary History of the Shattuck Farm, Andover, Massachusetts," 1981 and "The Camp in the Bend of the River," by Barbara E. Luedtke. 
  
 +
A restaurant in the main house had served baked beans cooked in an old brick oven and an ice cream stand and country store operated on the site.
 +
 +
The Stattuck farm buildings were moved from the original farm site on River Road to a 12 acre piece of land on High Plain Road owned by Terrence and Patricia Sullivan.  The buildings had been sold to Digital Corporation for an industrial park. 
 +
 +
[[Image:8,000 Years at Shattuck.jpg|thumb|...''8,000 years of man's past sought at Shattuck Farms''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 +
See
 +
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20century%20of%20change&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 37.
 +
 +
*"The Ghosts and Voices of Shattuck Farm," ''Today'', June 18, 1975, page 10.
 +
*"8,000 Years of Man's Past Sought at Shattuck Farms", ''Andover Townsman'', November 11, 1977.
 +
*"Old barn dismantled board by board," ''Eagle Tribune'', October 9, 1980.
 +
*"Shattuck Properties Survive Their Two-Day Journey," ''Andover Townsman'', October 21, 1981, pages 6 and 8.
 +
*"Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream," ''Andover Townsman'', November 13, 2008.
 +
*The archaeological studies are held in the Andover Room.
 +
<br>
 +
 +
 +
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 +
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
 +
 +
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 +
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 13:55, 10 May 2013

The Shattuck Farm, previosly owned and operated by the Abbot family and built in 1718, was an operating farm for 250 years. It encompassed seven distinct Native American sites at what is now 125 River Road. Before it became part of the Andover Industrial Park, an archaeological dig was commissioned. Two reports were published, "An Archaeological Survey and the Documentary History of the Shattuck Farm, Andover, Massachusetts," 1981 and "The Camp in the Bend of the River," by Barbara E. Luedtke.

A restaurant in the main house had served baked beans cooked in an old brick oven and an ice cream stand and country store operated on the site.

The Stattuck farm buildings were moved from the original farm site on River Road to a 12 acre piece of land on High Plain Road owned by Terrence and Patricia Sullivan. The buildings had been sold to Digital Corporation for an industrial park.

...8,000 years of man's past sought at Shattuck Farms.... click to enlarge


See

  • "The Ghosts and Voices of Shattuck Farm," Today, June 18, 1975, page 10.
  • "8,000 Years of Man's Past Sought at Shattuck Farms", Andover Townsman, November 11, 1977.
  • "Old barn dismantled board by board," Eagle Tribune, October 9, 1980.
  • "Shattuck Properties Survive Their Two-Day Journey," Andover Townsman, October 21, 1981, pages 6 and 8.
  • "Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream," Andover Townsman, November 13, 2008.
  • The archaeological studies are held in the Andover Room.





back to Main Page

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current16:34, 16 February 2015Thumbnail for version as of 16:34, 16 February 20151,884 × 3,344 (571 KB)Maintenance script (Talk)Importing image file
  • You cannot overwrite this file.

The following page links to this file: