Difference between revisions of "Shattuck Farm"

From Andover Answers
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: The Shattuck Farm, previosly owned and operated by the Abbot family and built in 1718, was an operating farm for 250 years. It encompassed seven distinct Native American sites at what is n...)
 
(2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 6: Line 6:
  
 
[[Image:8,000 Years at Shattuck.jpg|thumb|...''8,000 years of man's past sought at Shattuck Farms''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 
[[Image:8,000 Years at Shattuck.jpg|thumb|...''8,000 years of man's past sought at Shattuck Farms''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Dalton Column Shattuck Farms 1.jpg|thumb|...''Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Dalton Column Shattuck Farms 2.jpg|thumb|...''Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream con't''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Shattuck Farm Photos.jpg|thumb|...''Shattuck Farm Photos from a poor quality paper photocopy''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Shattuck Farms Country Store.jpg|thumb|...''Past & Present Townsman Column for Shattuck Farms Country Store''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
Line 18: Line 23:
 
*"Shattuck Properties Survive Their Two-Day Journey," ''Andover Townsman'', October 21, 1981, pages 6 and 8.
 
*"Shattuck Properties Survive Their Two-Day Journey," ''Andover Townsman'', October 21, 1981, pages 6 and 8.
 
*"Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream," ''Andover Townsman'', November 13, 2008.
 
*"Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream," ''Andover Townsman'', November 13, 2008.
 +
*"Past & Present: Shattuck Farms Country Store," ''Andover Townsman'', April 4, 2013, p. 3.
 
*The archaeological studies are held in the Andover Room.
 
*The archaeological studies are held in the Andover Room.
 
<br>
 
<br>
Line 25: Line 31:
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
+
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 14:07, May 10, 2013 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 14:07, 10 May 2013

The Shattuck Farm, previosly owned and operated by the Abbot family and built in 1718, was an operating farm for 250 years. It encompassed seven distinct Native American sites at what is now 125 River Road. Before it became part of the Andover Industrial Park, an archaeological dig was commissioned. Two reports were published, "An Archaeological Survey and the Documentary History of the Shattuck Farm, Andover, Massachusetts," 1981 and "The Camp in the Bend of the River," by Barbara E. Luedtke.

A restaurant in the main house had served baked beans cooked in an old brick oven and an ice cream stand and country store operated on the site.

The Stattuck farm buildings were moved from the original farm site on River Road to a 12 acre piece of land on High Plain Road owned by Terrence and Patricia Sullivan. The buildings had been sold to Digital Corporation for an industrial park.

...8,000 years of man's past sought at Shattuck Farms.... click to enlarge
...Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream.... click to enlarge
...Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream con't.... click to enlarge
...Shattuck Farm Photos from a poor quality paper photocopy.... click to enlarge
...Past & Present Townsman Column for Shattuck Farms Country Store.... click to enlarge



See

  • "The Ghosts and Voices of Shattuck Farm," Today, June 18, 1975, page 10.
  • "8,000 Years of Man's Past Sought at Shattuck Farms", Andover Townsman, November 11, 1977.
  • "Old barn dismantled board by board," Eagle Tribune, October 9, 1980.
  • "Shattuck Properties Survive Their Two-Day Journey," Andover Townsman, October 21, 1981, pages 6 and 8.
  • "Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream," Andover Townsman, November 13, 2008.
  • "Past & Present: Shattuck Farms Country Store," Andover Townsman, April 4, 2013, p. 3.
  • The archaeological studies are held in the Andover Room.




--Kim 14:07, May 10, 2013 (EDT)

back to Main Page