Difference between revisions of "Andover History"

From Andover Answers
Jump to: navigation, search
m (New page: The territory within the limits of the town of Andover was originally called Cochicawick. Andover was incorporated as a town May 6, 1646, and was named for the town in Hants County, Engla...)
 
m
Line 18: Line 18:
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 +
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Acts and Resolves for 1956, chapter 571 established a Town Manager system of government for Andover. The plan called for a Board of Selectmen, a moderator, school committee, Trustees of Punchard Free School, Trustess of Cornell Fund, a housing authority. 
 
See
 
See
 
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=250279&t=Andover%20Symbol%20of%20New%20England&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title''Andover Symbol of New England''] by Fuess, Claude Moore, (974.45 Fue)
 
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=250279&t=Andover%20Symbol%20of%20New%20England&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title''Andover Symbol of New England''] by Fuess, Claude Moore, (974.45 Fue)

Revision as of 13:30, 13 February 2015

The territory within the limits of the town of Andover was originally called Cochicawick. Andover was incorporated as a town May 6, 1646, and was named for the town in Hants County, England, which had been the home of many settlers.

A committee was appointed by the General Court on June 1, 1652, to lay out the bounds between Andover and Cambridge.

  • The bounds between Andover and Billerica were established May 26, 1658.
  • The bounds between Andover and Wills Hill were established May 9, 1678.
  • June 20, 1728, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Middleton.
  • April 17, 1847, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Lawrence.
  • April 7, 1855, a part of Andover was established as North Andover.

The division of Andover into two parishes: Andover and North Andover was enacted in the The Massachusetts Acts of 1855, Chapter 150 on page 587.

  • February 7, 1879, a part of Andover was annexed to Lawrence.
  • The bounds between Andover and Tewksbury were established May 21, 1903.
  • The bounds between Andover and North Reading were established April 22, 1904.


Vital records for Andover from 1647-1905 on available at the library on microfiche. Contents of the fiche are listed below.

...Andover Vital Records, 1647-1905.... click to enlarge


The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Acts and Resolves for 1956, chapter 571 established a Town Manager system of government for Andover. The plan called for a Board of Selectmen, a moderator, school committee, Trustees of Punchard Free School, Trustess of Cornell Fund, a housing authority. See



--Eleanor 15:15, February 21, 2008 (EST)
--Kim 10:38, May 10, 2013 (EDT) --Eleanor 12:15, February 13, 2015 (EST)

back to Main Page