Difference between revisions of "Andover History"

From Andover Answers
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m
Line 23: Line 23:
 
See
 
See
 
* ''The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Acts and Resolves for 1956'', Chapter 571
 
* ''The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Acts and Resolves for 1956'', Chapter 571
* ''The Massachusetts Acts of 1855'', Chapter 15O, page 587.  
+
* [http://archives.lib.state.ma.us/handle/2452/96973 ''The Massachusetts Acts of 1855'', Chapter 15O, page 587.]
 
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=250279&t=Andover%20Symbol%20of%20New%20England&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title''Andover Symbol of New England''] by Fuess, Claude Moore, (974.45 Fue)
 
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=250279&t=Andover%20Symbol%20of%20New%20England&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=1&rt=title''Andover Symbol of New England''] by Fuess, Claude Moore, (974.45 Fue)
 
* [http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&coll=moa&view=50&root=%2Fmoa%2Fnewe%2Fnewe0020%2F&tif=00493.TIF&cite=http%3A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fmoa-cgi%3Fnotisid%3DAFJ3026-0020-6 "Historic Andover"] by Annie Sawyer Downs in ''New England Magazine'', volume 20, issue 4, page 483 - 507
 
* [http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&coll=moa&view=50&root=%2Fmoa%2Fnewe%2Fnewe0020%2F&tif=00493.TIF&cite=http%3A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fmoa-cgi%3Fnotisid%3DAFJ3026-0020-6 "Historic Andover"] by Annie Sawyer Downs in ''New England Magazine'', volume 20, issue 4, page 483 - 507

Revision as of 13:38, 13 February 2015

The territory within the limits of the town of Andover was originally called Cochicawick. Andover was incorporated as a town May 6, 1646, and was named for the town in Hants County, England, which had been the home of many settlers.

A committee was appointed by the General Court on June 1, 1652, to lay out the bounds between Andover and Cambridge.

  • The bounds between Andover and Billerica were established May 26, 1658.
  • The bounds between Andover and Wills Hill were established May 9, 1678.
  • June 20, 1728, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Middleton.
  • April 17, 1847, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Lawrence.
  • April 7, 1855, a part of Andover was established as North Andover.

The division of Andover into two parishes: Andover and North Andover was enacted in the The Massachusetts Acts of 1855, Chapter 150 on page 587.

  • February 7, 1879, a part of Andover was annexed to Lawrence.
  • The bounds between Andover and Tewksbury were established May 21, 1903.
  • The bounds between Andover and North Reading were established April 22, 1904.


Vital records for Andover from 1647-1905 on available at the library on microfiche. Contents of the fiche are listed below.

...Andover Vital Records, 1647-1905.... click to enlarge


The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Acts and Resolves for 1956, Chapter 571 established a Town Manager system of government for Andover. The plan called for a Board of Selectmen, a moderator, school committee, Trustees of Punchard Free School, Trustess of Cornell Fund, a housing authority.

See



--Eleanor 15:15, February 21, 2008 (EST)
--Kim 10:38, May 10, 2013 (EDT) --Eleanor 12:15, February 13, 2015 (EST)

back to Main Page