The territory within the limits of the town of Andover was originally called Cochicawick. Andover was incorporated as a town May 6, 1646, and was named for the town in Hants County, England, which had been the home of many settlers.
A committee was appointed by the General Court on June 1, 1652, to lay out the bounds between Andover and Cambridge.
- The bounds between Andover and Billerica were established May 26, 1658.
- The bounds between Andover and Wills Hill were established May 9, 1678.
- June 20, 1728, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Middleton.
- April 17, 1847, a part of Andover was included in the new town of Lawrence.
- April 7, 1855, a part of Andover was established as North Andover.
The division of Andover into two parishes: Andover and North Andover was enacted in the The Massachusetts Acts of 1855, Chapter 150 on page 587.
- February 7, 1879, a part of Andover was annexed to Lawrence.
- The bounds between Andover and Tewksbury were established May 21, 1903.
- The bounds between Andover and North Reading were established April 22, 1904.
Vital records for Andover from 1647-1905 on available at the library on microfiche. Contents of the fiche are listed below.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Acts and Resolves for 1956, chapter 571 established a Town Manager system of government for Andover. The plan called for a Board of Selectmen, a moderator, school committee, Trustees of Punchard Free School, Trustess of Cornell Fund, a housing authority. See
- Andover Symbol of New England by Fuess, Claude Moore, (974.45 Fue)
- "Historic Andover" by Annie Sawyer Downs in New England Magazine, volume 20, issue 4, page 483 - 507
- Historical Sketches of Andover by Bailey, Sarah Loring, (974.45 Bai)
- "The Hitherto Undiscovered First Settlements of North Andover and Andover of 1629 and 1634. " a slide show by Wrigley, Clifford (Andover Room R 974.45 Wri)
- Vital Records of Andover, MA
back to Main Page