Difference between pages "Andover Biography - Michael Warshawsky" and "Andover Town Hall"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
m
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Michael Warshawsky founded the Andover Commission on Disabilites in 1994. He worked with town businesses to make them compliant with the Federal Disabilities Act of 1990.
+
'''This record is in progress.'''
 
+
After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homes.  It became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street. The building was listed 
Warshawsky was injured in a diving accident on June 7, 1971 when he was 19 years old and a student at Tufts University; he went on to complete a bachelor's and master's degree in engineering. He died on November 12, 2004 at the age of 52.
+
  
 +
During World War II the meeting hall was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building was not torn down.  In the 1960's the Town warrant included an article to tear down the building but Fred Cheever donated $500 to begin renovation and the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. In the 1987 Town Meeting $2.6 million dollars was appropriated to renovate the old Town Hall.  Using old photographs the
 +
  
 
See
 
See
*"Disabilities Group Founder Dies." ''Townsman'', November 18, 2004, pages 1& 16.
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/487303?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20century%20of%20change;qtype=keyword;locg=5 Andover A Century of Change], by Eleanor Motley Richardson, 974.45 Ric page 43.
 
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/6355?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20what%20it%20was;qtype=keyword;locg=5 ''Andover What it Was, What it is''] 974.45 And page 1 of the section titled "What it Will Be".
 
+
*"He Fought for Town Hall - and Won" ''Townsman'', July 14, 2005, page 34
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/1159536?qtype=keyword;query=images%20of%20america%20andover;locg=5 Images of America], by Andrew Gritz 974.5 Gri, pages 96 &97.
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 13:23, February 16, 2013 (EST)
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 18:38, February 14, 2013 (EST)
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 17:23, 16 February 2013

This record is in progress. After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homes. It became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street. The building was listed

During World War II the meeting hall was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building was not torn down. In the 1960's the Town warrant included an article to tear down the building but Fred Cheever donated $500 to begin renovation and the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. In the 1987 Town Meeting $2.6 million dollars was appropriated to renovate the old Town Hall. Using old photographs the


See


--Eleanor 13:23, February 16, 2013 (EST)

back to Main Page