Difference between pages "Andover Town Hall" and "Shattuck Farm"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
See Old Town House
+
The Shattuck Farm, previosly owned and operated by the Abbot family and built in 1718, was an operating farm for 250 years. It encompassed seven distinct Native American sites at what is now 125 River Road.  Before it became part of the Andover Industrial Park, an archaeological dig was commissioned. Two reports were published, "An Archaeological Survey and the Documentary History of the Shattuck Farm, Andover, Massachusetts," 1981 and "The Camp in the Bend of the River," by Barbara E. Luedtke. 
  
After the two parishes of Andover split resulting in two towns (Andover and North Andover) in 1855, Andover town meetings were held in churches and private homes.  It became evident that a town hall was necessary and one was built in 1858 at 20 Main Street.
+
A restaurant in the main house had served baked beans cooked in an old brick oven and an ice cream stand and country store operated on the site.  
  
During World War II the meeting hall on the upper floor was divided to makeshift office space. In 1946 The Town's Tercentennial Committee advocated that the building be torn down. The building, however, was not torn down then but the fever to tear down the building was rejuvenated in a Town warrant article during the 1960's. When Fred Cheever, a local real estate developer donated $500 to begin renovation the article was defeated. In 1981 Punchard High School was renovated and used as a Town Hall. Finally the 1987 Town Meeting appropriated $2.6 million dollars to renovate the old Town Hall and the process began. Using old photographs the meeting room was restored;  it is now rented for functions.
+
The Stattuck farm buildings were moved from the original farm site on River Road to a 12 acre piece of land on High Plain Road owned by Terrence and Patricia Sullivan. The buildings had been sold to Digital Corporation for an industrial park.  
 +
 
 +
[[Image:8,000 Years at Shattuck.jpg|thumb|...''8,000 years of man's past sought at Shattuck Farms''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Dalton Column Shattuck Farms 1.jpg|thumb|...''Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Dalton Column Shattuck Farms 2.jpg|thumb|...''Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream con't''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Shattuck Farm Photos.jpg|thumb|...''Shattuck Farm Photos from a poor quality paper photocopy''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Shattuck Farms Country Store.jpg|thumb|...''Past & Present Townsman Column for Shattuck Farms Country Store''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Shattuck Farm Plan.jpg|thumb|...''Plot plan of Shattuck Farm by the Gilmour Rothery & Co. Insurance, 1915''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
The building is now listed National Register of Historic Places.
 
 
 
See
 
See
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/487303?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20century%20of%20change;qtype=keyword;locg=5 Andover A Century of Change], by Eleanor Motley Richardson, 974.45 Ric page 43.
+
 
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/6355?fi%3Aitem_type=;query=andover%20what%20it%20was;qtype=keyword;locg=5 ''Andover What it Was, What it is''] 974.45 And page 1 of the section titled "What it Will Be".
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20century%20of%20change&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 37.
*"He Fought for Town Hall - and Won" ''Townsman'', July 14, 2005, page 34
+
 
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/1159536?qtype=keyword;query=images%20of%20america%20andover;locg=5 Images of America], by Andrew Gritz 974.5 Gri, pages 96 &97.
+
*"The Ghosts and Voices of Shattuck Farm," ''Today'', June 18, 1975, page 10.  
 +
*"8,000 Years of Man's Past Sought at Shattuck Farms", ''Andover Townsman'', November 11, 1977.
 +
*"Old barn dismantled board by board," ''Eagle Tribune'', October 9, 1980.
 +
*"Shattuck Properties Survive Their Two-Day Journey," ''Andover Townsman'', October 21, 1981, pages 6 and 8.
 +
*"Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream," ''Andover Townsman'', November 13, 2008.
 +
*"Past & Present: Shattuck Farms Country Store," ''Andover Townsman'', April 4, 2013, p. 3.
 +
*The archaeological studies are held in the Andover Room.
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
 
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 13:23, February 16, 2013 (EST)
+
 
 +
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 14:07, May 10, 2013 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 14:14, 10 May 2013

The Shattuck Farm, previosly owned and operated by the Abbot family and built in 1718, was an operating farm for 250 years. It encompassed seven distinct Native American sites at what is now 125 River Road. Before it became part of the Andover Industrial Park, an archaeological dig was commissioned. Two reports were published, "An Archaeological Survey and the Documentary History of the Shattuck Farm, Andover, Massachusetts," 1981 and "The Camp in the Bend of the River," by Barbara E. Luedtke.

A restaurant in the main house had served baked beans cooked in an old brick oven and an ice cream stand and country store operated on the site.

The Stattuck farm buildings were moved from the original farm site on River Road to a 12 acre piece of land on High Plain Road owned by Terrence and Patricia Sullivan. The buildings had been sold to Digital Corporation for an industrial park.

...8,000 years of man's past sought at Shattuck Farms.... click to enlarge
...Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream.... click to enlarge
...Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream con't.... click to enlarge
...Shattuck Farm Photos from a poor quality paper photocopy.... click to enlarge
...Past & Present Townsman Column for Shattuck Farms Country Store.... click to enlarge
...Plot plan of Shattuck Farm by the Gilmour Rothery & Co. Insurance, 1915.... click to enlarge



See

  • "The Ghosts and Voices of Shattuck Farm," Today, June 18, 1975, page 10.
  • "8,000 Years of Man's Past Sought at Shattuck Farms", Andover Townsman, November 11, 1977.
  • "Old barn dismantled board by board," Eagle Tribune, October 9, 1980.
  • "Shattuck Properties Survive Their Two-Day Journey," Andover Townsman, October 21, 1981, pages 6 and 8.
  • "Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream," Andover Townsman, November 13, 2008.
  • "Past & Present: Shattuck Farms Country Store," Andover Townsman, April 4, 2013, p. 3.
  • The archaeological studies are held in the Andover Room.




--Kim 14:07, May 10, 2013 (EDT)

back to Main Page