Difference between pages "Andover Biography - Peter Arthur" and "Shattuck Farm"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Peter Arthur, a well loved Andover High School social studies teacher, died unexpectedly from a heart attack on February 4, 2006.  He was 32 years old. He coached freshman soccer at Andover High and varsity baseball at Westford Academy. Students were well acquainted with the phrase he used often: " Make Good Choices". The funeral was held at the Collins Center; 1200 people attended.
+
The Shattuck Farm, previosly owned and operated by the Abbot family and built in 1718, was an operating farm for 250 years. It encompassed seven distinct Native American sites at what is now 125 River Road.  Before it became part of the Andover Industrial Park, an archaeological dig was commissioned. Two reports were published, "An Archaeological Survey and the Documentary History of the Shattuck Farm, Andover, Massachusetts," 1981 and "The Camp in the Bend of the River," by Barbara E. Luedtke. 
  
There is a scholarship fund in his honor: Jeffrey Arthur Education Fund.
+
A restaurant in the main house had served baked beans cooked in an old brick oven and an ice cream stand and country store operated on the site.
 +
 
 +
The Stattuck farm buildings were moved from the original farm site on River Road to a 12 acre piece of land on High Plain Road owned by Terrence and Patricia Sullivan.  The buildings had been sold to Digital Corporation for an industrial park. 
 +
 
 +
[[Image:8,000 Years at Shattuck.jpg|thumb|...''8,000 years of man's past sought at Shattuck Farms''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Dalton Column Shattuck Farms 1.jpg|thumb|...''Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Dalton Column Shattuck Farms 2.jpg|thumb|...''Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream con't''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Shattuck Farm Photos.jpg|thumb|...''Shattuck Farm Photos from a poor quality paper photocopy''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Shattuck Farms Country Store.jpg|thumb|...''Past & Present Townsman Column for Shattuck Farms Country Store''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Shattuck Farm Plan.jpg|thumb|...''Plot plan of Shattuck Farm by the Gilmour Rothery & Co. Insurance, 1915''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
 
See
 
See
*"AHS Pays Tribute to Teacher Today", ''The Townsman'', February 9, 2006, page 5.
+
 
*"Good-bye to a Teacher,"'' The Townsman'', February 16, 2006, page 13.
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20century%20of%20change&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=3&rt=keyword ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric), page 37.
*[http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonglobe/obituary.aspx?pid=16645475#fbLoggedOut Peter Arthur Obituary]
+
 
 +
*"The Ghosts and Voices of Shattuck Farm," ''Today'', June 18, 1975, page 10.
 +
*"8,000 Years of Man's Past Sought at Shattuck Farms", ''Andover Townsman'', November 11, 1977.
 +
*"Old barn dismantled board by board," ''Eagle Tribune'', October 9, 1980.
 +
*"Shattuck Properties Survive Their Two-Day Journey," ''Andover Townsman'', October 21, 1981, pages 6 and 8.
 +
*"Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream," ''Andover Townsman'', November 13, 2008.
 +
*"Past & Present: Shattuck Farms Country Store," ''Andover Townsman'', April 4, 2013, p. 3.
 +
*The archaeological studies are held in the Andover Room.
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
 
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:00, February 20, 2013 (EST)
+
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 14:07, May 10, 2013 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 14:14, 10 May 2013

The Shattuck Farm, previosly owned and operated by the Abbot family and built in 1718, was an operating farm for 250 years. It encompassed seven distinct Native American sites at what is now 125 River Road. Before it became part of the Andover Industrial Park, an archaeological dig was commissioned. Two reports were published, "An Archaeological Survey and the Documentary History of the Shattuck Farm, Andover, Massachusetts," 1981 and "The Camp in the Bend of the River," by Barbara E. Luedtke.

A restaurant in the main house had served baked beans cooked in an old brick oven and an ice cream stand and country store operated on the site.

The Stattuck farm buildings were moved from the original farm site on River Road to a 12 acre piece of land on High Plain Road owned by Terrence and Patricia Sullivan. The buildings had been sold to Digital Corporation for an industrial park.

...8,000 years of man's past sought at Shattuck Farms.... click to enlarge
...Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream.... click to enlarge
...Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream con't.... click to enlarge
...Shattuck Farm Photos from a poor quality paper photocopy.... click to enlarge
...Past & Present Townsman Column for Shattuck Farms Country Store.... click to enlarge
...Plot plan of Shattuck Farm by the Gilmour Rothery & Co. Insurance, 1915.... click to enlarge



See

  • "The Ghosts and Voices of Shattuck Farm," Today, June 18, 1975, page 10.
  • "8,000 Years of Man's Past Sought at Shattuck Farms", Andover Townsman, November 11, 1977.
  • "Old barn dismantled board by board," Eagle Tribune, October 9, 1980.
  • "Shattuck Properties Survive Their Two-Day Journey," Andover Townsman, October 21, 1981, pages 6 and 8.
  • "Shattuck Farm: From Native Americans to ice cream," Andover Townsman, November 13, 2008.
  • "Past & Present: Shattuck Farms Country Store," Andover Townsman, April 4, 2013, p. 3.
  • The archaeological studies are held in the Andover Room.




--Kim 14:07, May 10, 2013 (EDT)

back to Main Page