Difference between pages "Frye Village" and "Native American Burial Ground"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
m
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Frye Village was named after Samuel Frye who built a saw and grist mill in 1718 where Haverhill Street crosses the Shawsheen River. In 1824, John and Peter Smith built a mill to manufacture machinery used in cotton mills. John Dove joined with the Smith brothers in 1836 to process flax into fine thread, shoe thread, and flaxen products. Frye Village eventually became Shawsheen Village when William Wood built his model corporate community, 1919 to 1926.
+
There appears to have been a Native American burial ground before 1600 in West Andover on the site that later became the Shattuck Farm.   Although ceramics from earlier times found on the site do suggest early  settlements, when the Europeans settled in what was to become Andover, there were no Native Americans in the area of the settlement. The population had been erased by a plague in the early 17th century. This is consistent with the practice that Native Americans deserted areas where there had been deaths and disease.  
  
 
See
 
See
 +
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=383767&t=camp%20in%20the%20bend%20of%20the%20river&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=2&rt=keyword ''Camp In the Bend of the River: Prehistory at the Shattuck Farm Site''], (Andover Room R 974.42 Lue), pages 32, 33, 294, 309, 311.
 +
* [[Farms]]
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
* [http://134.241.121.88/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1VO23D1142234.6117&menu=search&aspect=subtab783&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=man&ri=&term=&index=.GW&aspect=subtab783&term=&index=.AW&term=andover+a+century+of+change&index=.ET&term=&index=.SW&x=0&y=0#focus ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) pages 88 to 90.
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 11:38, December 18, 2006 (EST)
 
+
* Mills, Mansions, and Mergers, by Edward Roddy, pages 87-90.
+
 
+
 
+
 
+
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 14:59, October 2, 2006 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
+
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 15:50, 4 October 2011

There appears to have been a Native American burial ground before 1600 in West Andover on the site that later became the Shattuck Farm. Although ceramics from earlier times found on the site do suggest early settlements, when the Europeans settled in what was to become Andover, there were no Native Americans in the area of the settlement. The population had been erased by a plague in the early 17th century. This is consistent with the practice that Native Americans deserted areas where there had been deaths and disease.

See


--Eleanor 11:38, December 18, 2006 (EST)

back to Main Page