Difference between pages "St. Francis Seminary" and "Ballardvale"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
m
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The St. Francis Seminary, a Catholic school to train boys for the priesthood, was built on River Road near the Tewksbury line in 1930. The seminary was closed in 1977.  The building then became part of the Franciscan Retreat and Conference Center.
+
The Ballardvale area in Andover is named after Timothy Ballard who owned a salt and grist mill in the 18th century. In 1836 John Marland built a woolen mill on the site that went bankrupt in 1857.  The company treasurer, J.P. Bradlee aquired the mill, named it the Bradlee Mill, but the area continued to be called Ballardvale.
 +
 
  
 
See
 
See
* "St. Francis Seminary Lights Drew Thousands of Onlookers,"'' Andover Townsman'', December 18, 2005.
+
* "Behind Ballardvale", ''Townsman'', November 6, 2003
 
+
*[http://www.andovertownsman.com/local/x528363060/Elderly-housing-proposal-considered-for-River-Road/print Elderly Housing Proposal Considered for River Road, Fransican Center Land.  ] ''Andover Townsman'' May 12, 2011
+
  
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:53, August 17, 2011 (EDT)--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 16:23, July 31, 2012 (EDT)
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:18, August 17, 2011 (EDT)
 
+
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 16:25, 17 August 2011

The Ballardvale area in Andover is named after Timothy Ballard who owned a salt and grist mill in the 18th century. In 1836 John Marland built a woolen mill on the site that went bankrupt in 1857. The company treasurer, J.P. Bradlee aquired the mill, named it the Bradlee Mill, but the area continued to be called Ballardvale.


See

  • "Behind Ballardvale", Townsman, November 6, 2003



--Eleanor 16:18, August 17, 2011 (EDT) back to Main Page