Difference between pages "Ballardvale" and "Andover Business - Daher's"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
m
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The Ballardvale area in Andover is named after Timothy Ballard who owned a salt and grist mill in the 18th century. In 1836 John Marland built a woolen mill on the site that went bankrupt in 1857. The company treasurer, J.P. Bradlee aquired the mill, named it the Bradlee Mill, but the area continued to be called Ballardvale.
+
The original Daher's Shoe Store began in 1963 on Prospect Street in Methuen when Charles Daher purchased overstock shoes from Majestic Shoe Co. in Lawrence. In 1989 they had grown to three locations: Swan Street, the Methuen Mall and 27 Main Street in Andover. In 1992 Daher's moved the Andover location Daher's 68 Main Street.
  
 +
The 27 Main Street location became Stride Rite Shoes.
 +
 +
It became [[Andover Business - J.L. Coombs Shoe Store| J.L. Coombs Shoe Store]] in 2009
  
The Lithia Spring Company in Ballardvale sold bottled water with lithium in it. Lithia salts were added to the water. Paul Hannigan from Lawrence set up the company in the 1880's. It was later  bought by another group of men in the 1890's. Mineral water was very popular at the time. Lithium was not discovered as a treatment for mania unil 1948.
 
  
 
See
 
See
 
+
* "Small Family Shoe Store Grows to Three Locations", ''Andover Townsman Advertising Supplement'', January 19, 1989, page 6a.
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=history%20of%20ballardvale&ft=&l=5&d=1&f=at&av= History of Ballardvale] Andover Room 974.45 His A compendium of articles about Ballardvale, taken from a variety of sources.
+
* "Dahers Went to School at Family's Shoe Store",'' Eagle Tribune'', April 19, 1992, page F1 and F5.
 
+
*"Andover's Former Mill Village," ''Andover Townsman'', January 4, 1996, p. 17,18,21. (Celebrating Andover's 350th Anniversary insert, photos)
+
 
+
*"Mills of Ballard Vale Captured Attention of Artist Sheeler (Charles Sheeler)," ''Boston Globe'', September 8, 1996, Northwest section, p. 17.
+
 
+
*"Behind Ballardvale," ''Townsman'', November 6, 2003
+
 
+
*"Ballardvale had Something in the Water: Gold-medal Winning Lithium.Virginia Perry Reck," ''Andover Townsman'', 8/27/2009, p.13.
+
 
+
*"1896 Titans of Trade," ''Andover Townsman'', January 17, 2013, p. 5.
+
 
+
*"1896 Titans of Trade Part II: Downtown Merchants," ''Andover Townsman'', January 24, 2013, p. 16.
+
  
  
''<br style="clear:both;" />
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:18, August 17, 2011 (EDT)
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:58, August 23, 2011 (EDT)
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 17:04, 23 August 2011

The original Daher's Shoe Store began in 1963 on Prospect Street in Methuen when Charles Daher purchased overstock shoes from Majestic Shoe Co. in Lawrence. In 1989 they had grown to three locations: Swan Street, the Methuen Mall and 27 Main Street in Andover. In 1992 Daher's moved the Andover location Daher's 68 Main Street.

The 27 Main Street location became Stride Rite Shoes.

It became J.L. Coombs Shoe Store in 2009


See

  • "Small Family Shoe Store Grows to Three Locations", Andover Townsman Advertising Supplement, January 19, 1989, page 6a.
  • "Dahers Went to School at Family's Shoe Store", Eagle Tribune, April 19, 1992, page F1 and F5.



--Eleanor 16:58, August 23, 2011 (EDT) back to Main Page