Difference between pages "Historic Houses - Phillips Brooks House" and "Andover Historic Houses - Newman House"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (New page: Rev. Samuel Phillips came to Andover in 1710 as the pastor of South Church, an office he held for 62 years. His son, the Honorable Samuel Phillips, went into trade and built the Phillips ...)
 
m (New page: The Newman House was built in 1811 by Mark Newman, principal of Phillips Academy form 1794 to 1809. [[Image:Newman_House.jpg|thumb|...''The Newman House 1811''.... click to enlarge|left...)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Rev. Samuel Phillips came to Andover in 1710 as the pastor of South Church, an office he held for 62 years.  His son, the Honorable Samuel Phillips, went into trade and built the Phillips Brooks House near North Andover Center in 1752.  It stands across the street from the Parson Barnard House, built in 1715, and the Old Burying Ground, one of the few intact 18th century cemeteries in New EnglandPart of the Anne and Simon Bradstreet home that burned in 1666 was built into the back of the Phillips Manse.
+
The Newman House was built in 1811 by Mark Newman, principal of Phillips Academy form 1794 to 1809.   
  
In 1991, the house on 17 acres was for sale for $1.05 million. Center Realty Trust, an affiliate of the North Andover Historical Society, declined the option to purchase it at that time. In 1992, the house on 2 acres of land sold for $290,000. It went on the market again in 1994, listed for $479,000.
+
[[Image:Newman_House.jpg|thumb|...''The Newman House 1811''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Newman_House_Narrative,_Part_1.jpg|thumb|...''The Newman House Narrative, Part 1''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
[[Image:Newman_House_Narrative,_Part_2.jpg|thumb|...''The Newman House Narrative, Part 2''.... click to enlarge|left]]
  
The Rev. Phillips Brooks, who wrote the lyrics to "O Little Town of Bethlehem," spent his summers at the house in the 1800s.
 
  
[[Image:Phillips_Brooks_House.jpg|thumb|...''The Phillips Brooks House, 1752''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 
  
[[Image:Phillips_Manse.jpg|thumb|...''The Phillips Manse''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 
 
[[Image:Phillips_Brooks_House_Narrative,_Part_1.jpg|thumb|...''The Phillips Brooks House Narrative, Part 1''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 
[[Image:Phillips_Brooks_House_Narrative,_Part_2.jpg|thumb|...''Phillips Brooks House Narrative, Part 2''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 +
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 11:45, November 5, 2011 (EDT)back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 +
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 09:32, 30 June 2012

The Newman House was built in 1811 by Mark Newman, principal of Phillips Academy form 1794 to 1809.

...The Newman House 1811.... click to enlarge
...The Newman House Narrative, Part 1.... click to enlarge
...The Newman House Narrative, Part 2.... click to enlarge




--Kim 11:45, November 5, 2011 (EDT)back to Main Page