Difference between pages "Andover Historic Houses - Phelps House" and "Andover Historic Houses - Rose Cottage"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (New page: The Phelps House, located at 189 Main Street, was built from 1809 to 1811. The house was a gift to the Andover Theological Seminary from shipbuilder William Bartlet of Newburyport. [[Ima...)
 
m
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The Phelps House, located at 189 Main Street, was built from 1809 to 1811The house was a gift to the Andover Theological Seminary from shipbuilder William Bartlet of Newburyport.
+
The Rose Cottage, located on the corner of Central & Chestnut streets, was built in 1784 by Abner Abbot, a blacksmithIn 1797, it was bought by Esquire John Kneeland, merchant, lawyer, and member of the Massachusetts Constitutional Convention.  Kneeland entertained General Lafayette at the Rose Cottage during Lafayette's 1825 visit to America to dedicate the Bunker Hill Monument.  General Lafayette spoke to the townspeople of Andover from the Rose Cottage's front porch.  
  
[[Image:Phelps_House.jpg|thumb|...''The Phelps House''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
In 1837, the cottage served as the rectory of Christ Church and was later purchased by the Marland family. In 1906, Mrs. Abram Marland made it into a tea room called the "Rose Cottage Tea Room."  In 1920, James and Mary Ellen Anderson moved into the cottage and had an antique shop. In 1949, the house was sold to Louise Coffin. In 1996, Carroll and Elaine Bailey bought the cottage.
[[Image:Phelps_House_Narrative,_Part_1.jpg|thumb|...''Phelps House Narrative, Part 1''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
[[Image:Phelps_House_Narrative,_Part_2.jpg|thumb|...''Phelps House Narrative, Part 2''.... click to enlarge|left]]
+
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 11:17, November 2, 2011 (EDT)<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->
+
[[Andover Artist - Howard Ames Coon|Howard Ames Coon
 +
]], an Andover artist,  painted a watercolor of the Rose Cottage.
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 
 +
[[Image:Rose_Cottage.jpg|thumb|...''Rose Cottage circa 1955''.... click to enlarge|left]]
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 
 +
See
 +
 
 +
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=250279&t=fuess%20symbol%20&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=1&rt=keyword Andover: Symbol of New England,] by Claude Fuess,p. 272.
 +
 
 +
* "Lafayette Drank Grog in Rose Cottage Parlor During Stopover," ''Andover Townsman'', September 22, 1955.
 +
 
 +
*''Andover Townsman'', May 27, 1971,
 +
 
 +
*"From old cottage to modern home," ''Andover Townsman'', July 10, 2003.
 +
 
 +
*"http://www.eagletribune.com/lifestyle/x1876413527/All-Decked-Out-From-Christmas-past-to-present-Family-memories-fill-Andovers-Rose-Cottage All Decked Out: From Christmas past to present: Family memories fill Andover's Rose Cottage," ''Eagle Tribune'', December 27, 2007.
 +
 
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
 
 +
 
 +
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 11:31, November 30, 2006 (EST)<br>
 +
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 12:42, March 1, 2012 (EST)
 +
 
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 12:41, 20 February 2013

The Rose Cottage, located on the corner of Central & Chestnut streets, was built in 1784 by Abner Abbot, a blacksmith. In 1797, it was bought by Esquire John Kneeland, merchant, lawyer, and member of the Massachusetts Constitutional Convention. Kneeland entertained General Lafayette at the Rose Cottage during Lafayette's 1825 visit to America to dedicate the Bunker Hill Monument. General Lafayette spoke to the townspeople of Andover from the Rose Cottage's front porch.

In 1837, the cottage served as the rectory of Christ Church and was later purchased by the Marland family. In 1906, Mrs. Abram Marland made it into a tea room called the "Rose Cottage Tea Room." In 1920, James and Mary Ellen Anderson moved into the cottage and had an antique shop. In 1949, the house was sold to Louise Coffin. In 1996, Carroll and Elaine Bailey bought the cottage.


Howard Ames Coon , an Andover artist, painted a watercolor of the Rose Cottage.


...Rose Cottage circa 1955.... click to enlarge


See

  • "Lafayette Drank Grog in Rose Cottage Parlor During Stopover," Andover Townsman, September 22, 1955.
  • Andover Townsman, May 27, 1971,
  • "From old cottage to modern home," Andover Townsman, July 10, 2003.



--Glenda 11:31, November 30, 2006 (EST)
--Kim 12:42, March 1, 2012 (EST)

back to Main Page