Historic Houses - Phillips Brooks House

From Andover Answers
Revision as of 14:39, 29 June 2012 by Eleanor (Talk) (New page: Rev. Samuel Phillips came to Andover in 1710 as the pastor of South Church, an office he held for 62 years. His son, the Honorable Samuel Phillips, went into trade and built the Phillips ...)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Rev. Samuel Phillips came to Andover in 1710 as the pastor of South Church, an office he held for 62 years. His son, the Honorable Samuel Phillips, went into trade and built the Phillips Brooks House near North Andover Center in 1752. It stands across the street from the Parson Barnard House, built in 1715, and the Old Burying Ground, one of the few intact 18th century cemeteries in New England. Part of the Anne and Simon Bradstreet home that burned in 1666 was built into the back of the Phillips Manse.

In 1991, the house on 17 acres was for sale for $1.05 million. Center Realty Trust, an affiliate of the North Andover Historical Society, declined the option to purchase it at that time. In 1992, the house on 2 acres of land sold for $290,000. It went on the market again in 1994, listed for $479,000.

The Rev. Phillips Brooks, who wrote the lyrics to "O Little Town of Bethlehem," spent his summers at the house in the 1800s.

...The Phillips Brooks House, 1752.... click to enlarge
...The Phillips Manse.... click to enlarge
...The Phillips Brooks House Narrative, Part 1.... click to enlarge
...Phillips Brooks House Narrative, Part 2.... click to enlarge