A plan to add a second railroad track to improve rail service to and from Boston was discussed in 2009. A second track allows trains to pass each other without having to stop. Without the second track trains idle for long periods of time to wait for a turn to proceed, resulting in increase pollution to areas surrounding the tracks. A second track allows for increase scheduling of trains. At that time a double track goes only as far as Reading.
In 2010 a second track was added from Ballardvale to Lawrence using funds from the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act.
- "Idling Trains Choking Neighbors", Eagle Tribune, April 7, 2005, page 9.
- "Railroad Company on Track to Cut Pollution", Eagle Tribune, November 14, 2006, page 1.
- "Planning Study Calls for Second RR Track", Andover Townsman, January 29, 2009
- "More Trains Expected with Second Track Through Andover", Andover Townsman, March 5, 2009, page1.
- "Making Tracks for Commuters", Eagle Tribune, May 4, 2010, page 1.