Difference between pages "AVIS Andover Village Improvement Society" and "Andover Townsman"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
*Andover Village Improvement Society (AVIS) was founded in 1894 by a concerned group of citizens as part of a national movement to improve living conditions in an age of industrialization.
+
The ''Andover Townsman'' began publication on October 14, 1887 and was located on 37 Main Street.
  
*A.V.I.S. merged with the Indian Ridge Association in 1917.
+
[[Image:Front_page.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Front page from the first issue of the Andover Townsman. This picture can be found on page 16A of the Centennial Issue of the ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 1988.]]
  
*AVIS is the second oldest land trust and conservation organization in the countryOnly Beverly's Trustees of the Reservation, chartered in 1892, is older.
+
<br style="clear:both;" /> 
 +
John N. Cole, an original owner, believing that Andover should have a newspaper of its own, bought Andover Press, which had published the Andover Adveriser. The Townsman was actually Andover's 3rd weekly paper.  The Journal of Humanity and Herald of the American Temperance Society ran from 1829-1833.  The Andover Advertiser ran from 1853 to 1866.  
  
*One early project was to conserve a glacial deposit known as Indian Ridge.
+
The Andover Press also featured a print shop and a small book store.  
  
*After World War II, from the mid 1950's through the 1960's and 1970's, there was concern that, with so much construction little or no open space would remain in Andover. Harold Rafton and others pursued the acquisition of properties through gift and purchase, vastly increasing AVIS acreage and the number of reservations.
+
The second editor was John Cole's son Philip. Bessie Goldsmith worked for the paper in the 1920's.
**Deer Jump Reservation is 92.6 acres and stretches 2.3 miles along the bank of the Merrimack River. Four tracts of land purchased 1960 and 1961 make up this reservation.
+
**Vale Reservation is located between the railroad tracts and the Shawsheen River in Ballardvale. This land was purchased in 1959.
+
**Shawsheen River Reservation is comprised of 26 acres of open grassland starting at the "Horn Bridge and running along the Shawsheen River.  The land was purchased in 1963.
+
**Indian Ridge Reservation, Baker's Meadow, is 3 parcels of land obtained at 3 different times: 1900,1958, and 1963.
+
**High Plain Reservation is 172 acres at the junction of I93 and I495.  It was purchased in 1963.
+
  
*AVIS is run by a 15 member volunteer board. Many more wardens, committee members and scouts help to maintain and improve the reservations.
+
In 1935 Elmer Grover bought the controlling interest and changed the name to Townsman Press, Inc. He  also changed the format to a news magazine style, patterned the paper after ''Life Magazine''.
  
See
+
In 1947 the paper was sold to Josiah K. Lily who returned the paper to its original format.
  
*[http://www.avisandover.org/ AVIS website]
+
In 1949 the paper was sold to Irving E. Rogers Sr.; Irving Rogers Jr. took over in 1982.
  
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=422060&t=avis&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=11&rt=title AVIS, a History in Conservation.] by Juliet Haines Mofford, 1980.
+
It was later sold to Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc. of Montgomery, Alabama which is part of the North of Boston Media Group.
  
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=indian%20ridge&ft=&l=5&d=0&f=&av= Indian Ridge Scrapbook: Clippings Relating to Indian Ridge, Mass.] compiled by Alice Buck.<br>
+
The Centennial Issue of the Andover Townsman was published July 21, 1988. The special issue is a retrospective of town history.
  
*"Andover Village Improvement Society", August 1964:<br>
+
[[Image:AndoverTownsman.jpg|200px|thumb|left|The Andover Townsman Office in the 1950's. This photo is found in the Centennial Issue of the ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 1988.]]
[[File:Page1.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Page1]]
+
[[File:Page2.jpg|200px|thumb|center|Page2]]
+
[[File:Page3.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Page3]]
+
[[File:Page4.jpg|200px|thumb|center|Page4]]
+
  
  
 +
<br style="clear:both;" />
  
 +
See
  
*"Merrimack reservation is brought back to life," ''Eagle Tribune'', August 12, 1979, p. B3.
+
* ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 1988
 +
* "History and Headlines for the Townsman", Advertising Supplement, the ''Andover Townsman'', May 28, 1992, page 2 A.
  
*"Conservation Land Improved," ''Andover Townsman'', August 14, 1986, p. 26.
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20century%20of%20change&tp=title&l=5&d=1&hc=1&rt=title ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) pages 136 & 137.
 +
* "History and Headlines from the Townsman", Advertising Supplement, ''The Andover Townsman'', May 28, 1992, page 2A.
  
*"Conservation an expensive fight, even in 1897," ''Andover Townsman'', December 7, 1989, p. 10.
+
*"In a century of change, the Townsman has been there," ''Andover Townsman'', October 7, 1999, p. 13A.
  
*"It's a bird watcher's haven," ''Andover Townsman'', December 28, 1989, p. 7.
+
*"Town seeks newspaper racks bylaw," ''Andover Townsman'', February 2, 2006.
  
*"Harold Rafton Reservation is a favorite," ''Andover Townsman'', January 18, 1990, p. 2.
+
*"Chronicling the town's news for 127 years," ''Andover Townsman'', October 30, 2014, p.18.
  
*"Goldsmith is her favorite," ''Andover Townsman'', February 22, 1990, p. 10.
+
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 12:56, November 24, 2006 (EST)<!-- insert signature here, if desired --><br>
 +
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 10:57, November 7, 2014 (EST)
  
*"Two unusual AVIS treasures are close by: Skug River and Hammond Reservation," ''Andover Townsman'', March 8, 1990, p. 10.
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:12, 26 March 2015 (EDT)
 
+
<br>
*"Following the Skug River to the Taft," ''Andover Townsman'', March 15, 1990, p. 31.
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:13, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
 
+
*"AVIS will be 100 years old in 1994," ''Andover Townsman'', March 29, 1990, p. 38.
+
 
+
*"AVIS works to buy meadow," ''Andover Townsman'', May 10, 1990, p. 6.
+
 
+
*"AVIS' Purdon Reservation: Five acres of history," ''Andover Townsman'', October 31, 1991, p. 6.
+
 
+
*"Georgia Stanley was eager to protect family land," ''Andover Townsman'', November 21, 1991.
+
 
+
*"Visiting the magical AVIS Sanborn Reservation," ''Andover Townsman'', may 7, 1992, p. 60.
+
 
+
*"100 years of saving the land: How AVIS has kept Andover Andover," ''Eagle Tribune'', December 12, 1993, p. 1.
+
 
+
*"AVIS: 100 years conserving land," ''Andover Townsman'', January 27, 1994, p. 1.
+
 
+
*"AVIS acquires more Taft land," ''Andover Townsman'', August 28, 1997.
+
 
+
*"Light is gold, the vistas wide: Ward Reservation," ''Boston Globe'', November 2, 1997.
+
 
+
*"Taft property makes nice hike," ''Andover Townsman'', December 18, 1997, p. 43.
+
 
+
*"In Andover: land, lots of land, for public use," ''Boston Sunday Globe'', April 14, 2002, p. M 20.
+
 
+
*"AVIS sues man who allegedly cut trees," ''Andover Townsman'', June 20, 2002.
+
 
+
*"Suit asks: Who had right to chop trees?," ''Eagle Tribune'', June 21, 2002, p. 1.
+
 
+
*"AVIS Keeping Andover Green,"  ''Eagle Tribune'', July 6, 2004, pages 9, 10.
+
 
+
*"Group, tree-cutter agree to $24,000 settlement," ''Eagle Tribune'', October 19, 2004, p. 13.
+
 
+
*"Reserving their place in history: Conservation land renamed after retiring improvement society members," ''Eagle Tribune'', March 9, 2005, p. 11.
+
 
+
*"Peggy Keck and Nat Smith honored: AVIS names reservations after two open-space pioneers," ''Andover Townsman'', March 10, 2005, p. 5.
+
 
+
*"Era ends at AVIS, leadership changes," ''Eagle Tribune'', April 24, 2005, p. C7.
+
 
+
*"Boardwalks to connect more open spaces," ''Andover Townsman'', August 18, 2005.
+
 
+
*"Heightened senses at Andover's Ward Reservation," ''Eagle Tribune'', October 1, 2006.
+
 
+
*"Scenic stops around each corner at Goldsmith Woodlands," ''November 12, 2006.
+
 
+
*"Triple the pleasure when you go exploring Andover's outdoors," ''Eagle Tribune'', December 17, 2006.
+
 
+
*"Volunteers rescue trail, AVIS footbridge: Taking the bridge from beavers," ''Andover Townsman'', January 18, 2007, p. 19.
+
 
+
*"AVIS Recognized for Preserving Town's Natural Resources," ''Andover Townsman'', April 19, 2012, page S7.
+
 
+
*"Storms throughout history cause devastation of town trees," ''Andover Townsman'', January 3, 2013, page 10.
+
 
+
*"A trail of possibilities: First let of Greenway readies to open," ''Andover Townsman'', April 18, 2013, p. 1.
+
 
+
*"A gift for the outdoors: Nature lover leaves $62,700 to AVIS," ''Andover Townsman'', December 12, 2013, p. 1.
+
  
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 11:05, September 5, 2012 (EDT)
 
 
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 12:53, 13 March 2015 (EDT)
 

Revision as of 12:18, 30 October 2015

The Andover Townsman began publication on October 14, 1887 and was located on 37 Main Street.

Front page from the first issue of the Andover Townsman. This picture can be found on page 16A of the Centennial Issue of the Andover Townsman, July 21, 1988.


John N. Cole, an original owner, believing that Andover should have a newspaper of its own, bought Andover Press, which had published the Andover Adveriser. The Townsman was actually Andover's 3rd weekly paper. The Journal of Humanity and Herald of the American Temperance Society ran from 1829-1833. The Andover Advertiser ran from 1853 to 1866.

The Andover Press also featured a print shop and a small book store.

The second editor was John Cole's son Philip. Bessie Goldsmith worked for the paper in the 1920's.

In 1935 Elmer Grover bought the controlling interest and changed the name to Townsman Press, Inc. He also changed the format to a news magazine style, patterned the paper after Life Magazine.

In 1947 the paper was sold to Josiah K. Lily who returned the paper to its original format.

In 1949 the paper was sold to Irving E. Rogers Sr.; Irving Rogers Jr. took over in 1982.

It was later sold to Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc. of Montgomery, Alabama which is part of the North of Boston Media Group.

The Centennial Issue of the Andover Townsman was published July 21, 1988. The special issue is a retrospective of town history.

The Andover Townsman Office in the 1950's. This photo is found in the Centennial Issue of the Andover Townsman, July 21, 1988.



See

  • Andover Townsman, July 21, 1988
  • "History and Headlines for the Townsman", Advertising Supplement, the Andover Townsman, May 28, 1992, page 2 A.
  • Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) pages 136 & 137.
  • "History and Headlines from the Townsman", Advertising Supplement, The Andover Townsman, May 28, 1992, page 2A.
  • "In a century of change, the Townsman has been there," Andover Townsman, October 7, 1999, p. 13A.
  • "Town seeks newspaper racks bylaw," Andover Townsman, February 2, 2006.
  • "Chronicling the town's news for 127 years," Andover Townsman, October 30, 2014, p.18.

--Glenda 12:56, November 24, 2006 (EST)
--Kim 10:57, November 7, 2014 (EST)

--Eleanor (talk) 15:12, 26 March 2015 (EDT)
--Eleanor (talk) 15:13, 22 October 2015 (EDT)


back to Main Page