Difference between pages "Andover Business - Hughes Pharmacy" and "Turtle Mound"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Hughes Pharmacy opened in 1854. The business was originally a jewelry store, located on Central Street, which had started to sell elixirs. The business moved to the West side of Main Street, and, finally, to the Barnard Building at 16 main Street. In 1967 Alan and Rosemary Hughes bought the business. In 1991 Alan died, and Rosemary Hughes ran the pharmacy with the help of a hired pharmacist. It became difficult to pay a pharmacist and also pay the increased leasing costs which were the result of  a foreclosure on  the Barnard Building. The pharmacy closed in March 1991 and the business was sold to CVS.
+
A stone cairn found in Andover overlooking Haggetts Pond in West Andover. It is named Turtle Mound because an arial view resembles a turtle. The actual date of the structure is not known, although it is thought to have been constructed by Native Americans.
  
 +
The boulders that make up the structure may vary in size from pebbles to 3 tons. On the outside the dimensions of the Turtle Mound measure approximately 70 feet by 30 feet by 15 feet; on the inside there are two cave-like chambers, eight feet in diameter and 10 feet high, and a rock-lined tunnel.
 +
 +
In a 1951 study of the structure, Yale archeologist Frank Glynn found a layer of human bones mixed with charcoal indicating the structure was used for ceremonial and cremation purposes. Radiocarbon dating  of the charcoal sets the date at 2000 B.C.
 +
He also found spear points, axe heads, hammer stones, and drills. These he dates at 3000 B.C.
  
 +
One of the owners of the property, a M. Harnois, built a shrine to a saint on the site in 1914. Evidence of Harnois' shrine still exists.
  
 
See
 
See
*Hughes Pharmacy Closes. ''Andover Townsman'' 3/14/1991, p. 1, 2.
+
* ''Andover Guide'' Spring 2007, "A Look at Andover Turtle Mound" by Tom Draheim
<br style="clear:both;" /> 
+
* [http://andoverhistorical.org/blog/?tag=turtle-mound "Blanchard House Blog"], Wednesday, September 5, 2012.(Photo of the Week)
[[File:HughesPharmacy.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Hughes Pharmacy in 1978 from ''Andover Townsman'', Past and Present December 28, 2006]]
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=267525&t=ruins%20of%20great%20ireland&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=4&rt=keyword''Ruins of Great Ireland in New England''], Andover Room R 973.11 Goo, pages  102 to 108.
<br style="clear:both;" /> 
+
*''NEARA Newsletter'' (New England Antiquities Research Association Newsletter), December 1969.  This is found in the Andover Vertical File under architecture.
At the time of this photo, there were three drug stores in downtown Andover: Hughes Pharmacy, Hartigan's Drug Store and Simeone's Drug Store.
+
* NEARA Site Report Sheet. This is found in the Andover Vertical File under architecture.  
  
<br style="clear:both;" /> 
+
*Great Andover Mystery: Who Built Turtle Mound? ''Andover Townsman'' April 12, 2012, p.14
See
+
*[[Andover Business - Kabloom]]
+
  
  
 +
[[Image:turtlemound.jpg|thumb||left|'' Andover Guide,'' “Turtle Mound," by Tom Draheim,  page 15 .....click to enlarge ]]
 +
[[Image:TurtleMound.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Location of Turtle Mound.]]
  
  
 +
Turtle Mound is a pile of boulders stacked together with dimensions of approximately 70 ft, 30 ft, and 15 ft.
  
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
  
<!-- insert signature here, if desired -->--[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 13:39, July 31, 2012 (EDT)
 
  
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 16:05, 8 May 2015 (EDT)
+
<br style="clear:both;" />
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:16, November 3, 2006 (EST)
 +
 
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 10:44, December 8, 2014 (EST)
  
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:52, 9 October 2015 (EDT)
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Latest revision as of 15:32, 22 October 2015

A stone cairn found in Andover overlooking Haggetts Pond in West Andover. It is named Turtle Mound because an arial view resembles a turtle. The actual date of the structure is not known, although it is thought to have been constructed by Native Americans.

The boulders that make up the structure may vary in size from pebbles to 3 tons. On the outside the dimensions of the Turtle Mound measure approximately 70 feet by 30 feet by 15 feet; on the inside there are two cave-like chambers, eight feet in diameter and 10 feet high, and a rock-lined tunnel.

In a 1951 study of the structure, Yale archeologist Frank Glynn found a layer of human bones mixed with charcoal indicating the structure was used for ceremonial and cremation purposes. Radiocarbon dating of the charcoal sets the date at 2000 B.C. He also found spear points, axe heads, hammer stones, and drills. These he dates at 3000 B.C.

One of the owners of the property, a M. Harnois, built a shrine to a saint on the site in 1914. Evidence of Harnois' shrine still exists.

See

  • Andover Guide Spring 2007, "A Look at Andover Turtle Mound" by Tom Draheim
  • "Blanchard House Blog", Wednesday, September 5, 2012.(Photo of the Week)
  • Ruins of Great Ireland in New England, Andover Room R 973.11 Goo, pages 102 to 108.
  • NEARA Newsletter (New England Antiquities Research Association Newsletter), December 1969. This is found in the Andover Vertical File under architecture.
  • NEARA Site Report Sheet. This is found in the Andover Vertical File under architecture.
  • Great Andover Mystery: Who Built Turtle Mound? Andover Townsman April 12, 2012, p.14


Andover Guide, “Turtle Mound," by Tom Draheim, page 15 .....click to enlarge
Location of Turtle Mound.


Turtle Mound is a pile of boulders stacked together with dimensions of approximately 70 ft, 30 ft, and 15 ft.




--Eleanor 16:16, November 3, 2006 (EST)

--Eleanor 10:44, December 8, 2014 (EST)

--Eleanor (talk) 14:52, 9 October 2015 (EDT)

back to Main Page