Difference between pages "Turtle Mound" and "Andover Townsman"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
A stone cairn found in Andover overlooking Haggetts Pond in West Andover. It is named Turtle Mound because an arial view resembles a turtle. The actual date of the structure is not known, although it is thought to have been constructed by Native Americans.
+
The ''Andover Townsman'' began publication on October 14, 1887 and was located on 37 Main Street.
  
The boulders that make up the structure may vary in size from pebbles to 3 tons. On the outside the dimensions of the Turtle Mound measure approximately 70 feet by 30 feet by 15 feet; on the inside there are two cave-like chambers, eight feet in diameter and 10 feet high, and a rock-lined tunnel.
+
[[Image:Front_page.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Front page from the first issue of the Andover Townsman. This picture can be found on page 16A of the Centennial Issue of the ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 1988.]]
+
In a 1951 study of the structure, Yale archeologist Frank Glynn found a layer of human bones mixed with charcoal indicating the structure was used for ceremonial and cremation purposes. Radiocarbon dating  of the charcoal sets the date at 2000 B.C.
+
He also found spear points, axe heads, hammer stones, and drills. These he dates at 3000 B.C.
+
  
One of the owners of the property, a M. Harnois, built a shrine to a saint on the site in 1914. Evidence of Harnois' shrine still exists.
+
<br style="clear:both;" /> 
 +
John N. Cole, an original owner, believing that Andover should have a newspaper of its own, bought Andover Press, which had published the Andover Adveriser. The Townsman was  actually Andover's 3rd weekly paper.  The Journal of Humanity and Herald of the American Temperance Society ran from 1829-1833.  The Andover Advertiser ran from 1853 to 1866.  
  
See
+
The Andover Press also featured a print shop and a small book store.  
* ''Andover Guide'' Spring 2007, "A Look at Andover Turtle Mound" by Tom Draheim
+
* [http://andoverhistorical.org/blog/?tag=turtle-mound "Blanchard House Blog"], Wednesday, September 5, 2012.(Photo of the Week)
+
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=267525&t=ruins%20of%20great%20ireland&tp=keyword&d=0&hc=4&rt=keyword''Ruins of Great Ireland in New England''], Andover Room R 973.11 Goo, pages  102 to 108.
+
*''NEARA Newsletter'' (New England Antiquities Research Association Newsletter), December 1969.  This is found in the Andover Vertical File under architecture.
+
* NEARA Site Report Sheet. This is found in the Andover Vertical File under architecture.  
+
  
*Great Andover Mystery: Who Built Turtle Mound? ''Andover Townsman'' April 12, 2012, p.14
+
The second editor was John Cole's son Philip. Bessie Goldsmith worked for the paper in the 1920's.
  
 +
In 1935 Elmer Grover bought the controlling interest and changed the name to Townsman Press, Inc. He  also changed the format to a news magazine style, patterned the paper after ''Life Magazine''.
  
[[Image:turtlemound.jpg|thumb||left|'' Andover Guide,'' “Turtle Mound," by Tom Draheim,  page 15 .....click to enlarge ]]
+
In 1947 the paper was sold to Josiah K. Lily who returned the paper to its original format.  
[[Image:TurtleMound.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Location of Turtle Mound.]]
+
  
 +
In 1949 the paper was sold to Irving E. Rogers Sr.; Irving Rogers Jr. took over in 1982.
  
Turtle Mound is a pile of boulders stacked together with dimensions of approximately 70 ft, 30 ft, and 15 ft.  
+
It was later sold to Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc. of Montgomery, Alabama which is part of the North of Boston Media Group.
 
+
  
 +
The Centennial Issue of the Andover Townsman was published July 21, 1988.  The special issue is a retrospective of town history.
  
 +
[[Image:AndoverTownsman.jpg|200px|thumb|left|The Andover Townsman Office in the 1950's.  This photo is found in the Centennial Issue of the ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 1988.]]
  
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
 
<br style="clear:both;" />
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 16:16, November 3, 2006 (EST)
 
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 10:44, December 8, 2014 (EST)
+
See
 +
 
 +
* ''Andover Townsman'', July 21, 1988
 +
* "History and Headlines for the Townsman", Advertising Supplement, the ''Andover Townsman'', May 28, 1992, page 2 A.
 +
 
 +
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=487303&t=andover%20century%20of%20change&tp=title&l=5&d=1&hc=1&rt=title ''Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996''] by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) pages 136 & 137.
 +
* "History and Headlines from the Townsman", Advertising Supplement, ''The Andover Townsman'', May 28, 1992, page 2A.
 +
 
 +
*"In a century of change, the Townsman has been there," ''Andover Townsman'', October 7, 1999, p. 13A.
 +
 
 +
*"Town seeks newspaper racks bylaw," ''Andover Townsman'', February 2, 2006.
 +
 
 +
*"Chronicling the town's news for 127 years," ''Andover Townsman'', October 30, 2014, p.18.
 +
 
 +
--[[User:Glenda|Glenda]] 12:56, November 24, 2006 (EST)<!-- insert signature here, if desired --><br>
 +
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 10:57, November 7, 2014 (EST)
 +
 
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:12, 26 March 2015 (EDT)
 +
<br>
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 15:13, 22 October 2015 (EDT)
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 14:52, 9 October 2015 (EDT)
 
  
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
 
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]

Revision as of 14:35, 22 October 2015

The Andover Townsman began publication on October 14, 1887 and was located on 37 Main Street.

Front page from the first issue of the Andover Townsman. This picture can be found on page 16A of the Centennial Issue of the Andover Townsman, July 21, 1988.


John N. Cole, an original owner, believing that Andover should have a newspaper of its own, bought Andover Press, which had published the Andover Adveriser. The Townsman was actually Andover's 3rd weekly paper. The Journal of Humanity and Herald of the American Temperance Society ran from 1829-1833. The Andover Advertiser ran from 1853 to 1866.

The Andover Press also featured a print shop and a small book store.

The second editor was John Cole's son Philip. Bessie Goldsmith worked for the paper in the 1920's.

In 1935 Elmer Grover bought the controlling interest and changed the name to Townsman Press, Inc. He also changed the format to a news magazine style, patterned the paper after Life Magazine.

In 1947 the paper was sold to Josiah K. Lily who returned the paper to its original format.

In 1949 the paper was sold to Irving E. Rogers Sr.; Irving Rogers Jr. took over in 1982.

It was later sold to Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc. of Montgomery, Alabama which is part of the North of Boston Media Group.

The Centennial Issue of the Andover Townsman was published July 21, 1988. The special issue is a retrospective of town history.

The Andover Townsman Office in the 1950's. This photo is found in the Centennial Issue of the Andover Townsman, July 21, 1988.


See

  • Andover Townsman, July 21, 1988
  • "History and Headlines for the Townsman", Advertising Supplement, the Andover Townsman, May 28, 1992, page 2 A.
  • Andover a Century of Change:1896 - 1996 by Eleanor Motley Richardson, (974.45 Ric) pages 136 & 137.
  • "History and Headlines from the Townsman", Advertising Supplement, The Andover Townsman, May 28, 1992, page 2A.
  • "In a century of change, the Townsman has been there," Andover Townsman, October 7, 1999, p. 13A.
  • "Town seeks newspaper racks bylaw," Andover Townsman, February 2, 2006.
  • "Chronicling the town's news for 127 years," Andover Townsman, October 30, 2014, p.18.

--Glenda 12:56, November 24, 2006 (EST)
--Kim 10:57, November 7, 2014 (EST)

--Eleanor (talk) 15:12, 26 March 2015 (EDT)
--Eleanor (talk) 15:13, 22 October 2015 (EDT)


back to Main Page