Difference between pages "Cemeteries in Andover" and "AVIS Andover Village Improvement Society"

From Andover Answers
(Difference between pages)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The first documented gravestone in Andover was placed at South Church in 1711.
+
*Andover Village Improvement Society (AVIS) was founded in 1894 by a concerned group of citizens as part of a national movement to improve living conditions in an age of industrialization.
  
 +
*A.V.I.S. merged with the Indian Ridge Association in 1917.
  
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=640791 Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy]
+
*AVIS is the second oldest land trust and conservation organization in the country. Only Beverly's Trustees of the Reservation, chartered in 1892, is older.
**Originally the cemetery for the Andover Theological Seminary
+
**First burial was in 1810.
+
**Those buried include: Harriet Beecher Stowe; John Dove; Alice Buck; Elizabeth Stuart Phelps and Warren Draper.
+
***See "A little cemetery - a lot of history," ''Andover Townsman'', December 5, 2013, p. 16.
+
  
 +
*One early project was to conserve a glacial deposit known as Indian Ridge.
  
*[http://www.christchurchandover.org/ Christ Church Cemetery - Episcopal]
+
*After World War II, from the mid 1950's through the 1960's and 1970's, there was concern that, with so much construction little or no open space would remain in Andover. Harold Rafton and others pursued the acquisition of properties through gift and purchase, vastly increasing AVIS acreage and the number of reservations.
**Located at 25 Central Street.
+
**Deer Jump Reservation is 92.6 acres and stretches 2.3 miles along the bank of the Merrimack River. Four tracts of land purchased 1960 and 1961 make up this reservation.
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1840.
+
**Vale Reservation is located between the railroad tracts and the Shawsheen River in Ballardvale. This land was purchased in 1959.
 +
**Shawsheen River Reservation is comprised of 26 acres of open grassland starting at the "Horn Bridge and running along the Shawsheen River.  The land was purchased in 1963.
 +
**Indian Ridge Reservation, Baker's Meadow, is 3 parcels of land obtained at 3 different times: 1900,1958, and 1963.
 +
**High Plain Reservation is 172 acres at the junction of I93 and I495.  It was purchased in 1963.
  
 +
*AVIS is run by a 15 member volunteer board. Many more wardens, committee members and scouts help to maintain and improve the reservations.
 +
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
 +
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
  
*Cornelius Gould Farm Cemetery
+
See
**Contains only three gravestones and a few unmarked graves: Cornelius Gould, Lydia Gould, and Emerson Gould.
+
**When the boundary line between Andover and North Reading was established in 1904, a portion of the Gould Farm was in North Reading.  The cemetery is in this portion.
+
  
 +
*[http://www.avisandover.org/ AVIS website]
  
*Jenkins Family Cemetery
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=422060&t=avis&tp=title&l=5&d=1&f=at&hc=11&rt=title AVIS, a History in Conservation.] by Juliet Haines Mofford, 1980.
**Located off Douglas Road near the Jenkins Farmhouse.
+
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1752.
+
**Only 6 grave stones remain all direct descendants of Rev. John Woodbridge, the first minister of Andover.
+
***The remains of the Jenkins family were removed and place in the William Jenkins Lot of the Spring Grove Cemetery.
+
  
 +
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=title&tp=title&t=indian%20ridge&ft=&l=5&d=0&f=&av= Indian Ridge Scrapbook: Clippings Relating to Indian Ridge, Mass.] compiled by Alice Buck.<br>
  
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=640791 Phillips Academy Chapel Cemetery]
+
*"Andover Village Improvement Society", August 1964:<br>
**Located on Chapel Avenue.
+
[[File:Page1.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Page1]]
**The burying ground of Andover Theological Seminary.
+
[[File:Page2.jpg|200px|thumb|center|Page2]]
 +
[[File:Page3.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Page3]]
 +
[[File:Page4.jpg|200px|thumb|center|Page4]]
  
  
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=91539&CScntry=4&CSst=21&CScnty=1177&CSsr=281& Sacred Heart Cemetery]
 
**Located at 80 Corbett Road in the Shawsheen section of Andover.
 
**A member of the Catholic Cemetery Association
 
 
  
*[http://staugustineparish.org/church_home.html St. Augustine's Church Cemetery]
 
**Located off Lupine Road; office at 43 Essex Street.
 
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1855.
 
  
 +
*"Merrimack reservation is brought back to life," ''Eagle Tribune'', August 12, 1979, p. B3.
  
*[http://www.northparish.org/index.php North Parish Burial Ground in North Andover]
+
*"Conservation Land Improved," ''Andover Townsman'', August 14, 1986, p. 26.
**First burial ground established in Andover. Andover split into the North Parish (North Andover) and South Parish (Andover) in 1855.
+
**[http://hne-rs.s3.amazonaws.com/filestore/1/2/9/1/1_40bc7622deefd6a/12911_e6dfb13f33ac7fb.pdf"The Old Burial Ground on Academy Road, North Andover]
+
  
 +
*"Conservation an expensive fight, even in 1897," ''Andover Townsman'', December 7, 1989, p. 10.
  
*[http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=91565 Saint Francis Seminary Cemetery]
+
*"It's a bird watcher's haven," ''Andover Townsman'', December 28, 1989, p. 7.
  
 +
*"Harold Rafton Reservation is a favorite," ''Andover Townsman'', January 18, 1990, p. 2.
  
*[http://www.southchurch.com/cemetery/index.html South Church Cemetery]
+
*"Goldsmith is her favorite," ''Andover Townsman'', February 22, 1990, p. 10.
**Located at the corner of Central and School Streets (41 Central Street)
+
**Oldest cemetery in Andover
+
**First burial was Robert Russell in 1710.
+
**See [[South Church (Parish)]]
+
**[http://www.southchurch.com/cemetery/ List of people buried in South Church Cemetery]
+
[[File:southchurchmap.jpg|200px|thumb|left|Map of South Parish Cemetery]]
+
[[File:Memorial.jpg|200px|thumb|center|List of Memorials in South Parish Cemetery]]
+
  
 +
*"Two unusual AVIS treasures are close by: Skug River and Hammond Reservation," ''Andover Townsman'', March 8, 1990, p. 10.
  
 +
*"Following the Skug River to the Taft," ''Andover Townsman'', March 15, 1990, p. 31.
  
 +
*"AVIS will be 100 years old in 1994," ''Andover Townsman'', March 29, 1990, p. 38.
  
*[http://andoverma.gov/facilities/cemetery/ Spring Grove Cemetery]
+
*"AVIS works to buy meadow," ''Andover Townsman'', May 10, 1990, p. 6.
**Located on Abbot Street.
+
**This is the Andover town cemetery.  At the annual town meeting on March 1, 1869, it was voted to purchase land for the cemetery.  Graves in this cemetery date back to 1871.  A history of the cemetery is contained in a pamphlet entited "Spring Grove Cemetery: Information and rules and regulations, June 30, 1941.
+
**An online search by name is located on the town's website [http://andoverma.gov/facilities/cemetery/search.php Spring Grove Cemetery search] 
+
  
 +
*"AVIS' Purdon Reservation: Five acres of history," ''Andover Townsman'', October 31, 1991, p. 6.
  
*[http://www.jcam.org/Pages/Cemeteries_New/Cemetery_Pages_08/Lawrence_Mt_Vernon.html Temple Emanuel Cemetery]
+
*"Georgia Stanley was eager to protect family land," ''Andover Townsman'', November 21, 1991.
**Corbett and Mount Vernon Street
+
  
 +
*"Visiting the magical AVIS Sanborn Reservation," ''Andover Townsman'', may 7, 1992, p. 60.
  
*[http://www.westparishgardencemetery.org/ West Parish Cemetery]
+
*"100 years of saving the land: How AVIS has kept Andover Andover," ''Eagle Tribune'', December 12, 1993, p. 1.
**Located at 129 Reservation Road.
+
**Graves in this cemetery date back to 1692 & 1751.
+
  
 +
*"AVIS: 100 years conserving land," ''Andover Townsman'', January 27, 1994, p. 1.
  
*Woodbridge Family Graveyard
+
*"AVIS acquires more Taft land," ''Andover Townsman'', August 28, 1997.
**Behind 89 Jenkins Road
+
**Only 12 stones remain in this unused family graveyard.
+
**Originally the Samuel Jenkins family was buried there.  They have all been reinterred at Spring Grove.
+
**The town adopted the cemetery at the 2002 town meeting.
+
  
See
+
*"Light is gold, the vistas wide: Ward Reservation," ''Boston Globe'', November 2, 1997.
  
*"Buried here (famous Andover residents)," ''Andover Townsman'', October 26, 1995, p. 1.
+
*"Taft property makes nice hike," ''Andover Townsman'', December 18, 1997, p. 43.
*"Historic Undertaking: Repairing stones is grave matter," ''Andover Townsman'', February 21, 2002, p.1.
+
*"Revolutionary War-era cemetery now town's," ''Andover Townsman'', April 25, 2002.
+
*"Revolutionary War era cemetery is town's: Woodbridge Jenkins Cemetery," ''Andover Townsman'', May 2, 2002, p. 22.
+
*[http://andover.mvlc.org/eg/opac/record/26062?query=farm%20and%20neighborhood%20cemeteries;qtype=keyword;fi%3Asearch_format=;locg=5 "Farm and Neighborhood Cemeteries of Andover and North Andover, Mass, Including Stone Inscriptions"] by Lenora White McQuesten.
+
*"Finding roots in Andover," ''Eagle Tribune'', January 11, 2009, p. 9.
+
*[http://andover.essexcountyma.net/cemeteryindex.html Andover Church and Cemetery Guide]
+
  
 +
*"In Andover: land, lots of land, for public use," ''Boston Sunday Globe'', April 14, 2002, p. M 20.
  
See also
+
*"AVIS sues man who allegedly cut trees," ''Andover Townsman'', June 20, 2002.
  
*[http://andover.essexcountyma.net/cemeteryindex.html Andover Church and Cemetery Guide]
+
*"Suit asks: Who had right to chop trees?," ''Eagle Tribune'', June 21, 2002, p. 1.
* [http://andover.mvlc.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=32772&t=guide%20to%20cemeteries%20in%20massachusetts&tp=keyword&l=5&d=1&hc=2&rt=keyword Guide to Cemeteries in Essex County Massachusetts] R929.5 Gui (The information for Andover is in the Andover File -- Cemeteries.)
+
  
*[http://andoverhistorical.org/ The Andover Historical Society] has a list of cemetery inventories for Christ Church, St. Augustine's, Phillips Academy Chapel, Spring Grove, West Parish cemeteries.
+
*"AVIS Keeping Andover Green,''Eagle Tribune'', July 6, 2004, pages 9, 10.
  
 +
*"Group, tree-cutter agree to $24,000 settlement," ''Eagle Tribune'', October 19, 2004, p. 13.
  
 +
*"Reserving their place in history: Conservation land renamed after retiring improvement society members," ''Eagle Tribune'', March 9, 2005, p. 11.
  
 +
*"Peggy Keck and Nat Smith honored: AVIS names reservations after two open-space pioneers," ''Andover Townsman'', March 10, 2005, p. 5.
  
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] 15:41, June 13, 2006 and December 2, 2014 (EDT)<br>
+
*"Era ends at AVIS, leadership changes," ''Eagle Tribune'', April 24, 2005, p. C7.
--[[User:Kim|Kim]] 20:38, December 12, 2012 (EST)<br>
+
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 10:52, 18 March 2015 (EDT)
+
  
back to [[Main Page|Main Page]]
+
*"Boardwalks to connect more open spaces," ''Andover Townsman'', August 18, 2005.
[[Category:Andover Answers Index]]
+
 
 +
*"Heightened senses at Andover's Ward Reservation," ''Eagle Tribune'', October 1, 2006.
 +
 
 +
*"Scenic stops around each corner at Goldsmith Woodlands," ''November 12, 2006.
 +
 
 +
*"Triple the pleasure when you go exploring Andover's outdoors," ''Eagle Tribune'', December 17, 2006.
 +
 
 +
*"Volunteers rescue trail, AVIS footbridge: Taking the bridge from beavers," ''Andover Townsman'', January 18, 2007, p. 19.
 +
 
 +
*"AVIS Recognized for Preserving Town's Natural Resources," ''Andover Townsman'', April 19, 2012, page S7.
 +
 
 +
*"Storms throughout history cause devastation of town trees," ''Andover Townsman'', January 3, 2013, page 10.
 +
 
 +
*"A trail of possibilities: First let of Greenway readies to open," ''Andover Townsman'', April 18, 2013, p. 1.
 +
 
 +
*"A gift for the outdoors: Nature lover leaves $62,700 to AVIS," ''Andover Townsman'', December 12, 2013, p. 1.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
[[User:Leslie|Leslie]] 11:05, September 5, 2012 (EDT)
 +
 
 +
--[[User:Eleanor|Eleanor]] ([[User talk:Eleanor|talk]]) 12:53, 13 March 2015 (EDT)

Revision as of 11:08, 18 March 2015

  • Andover Village Improvement Society (AVIS) was founded in 1894 by a concerned group of citizens as part of a national movement to improve living conditions in an age of industrialization.
  • A.V.I.S. merged with the Indian Ridge Association in 1917.
  • AVIS is the second oldest land trust and conservation organization in the country. Only Beverly's Trustees of the Reservation, chartered in 1892, is older.
  • One early project was to conserve a glacial deposit known as Indian Ridge.
  • After World War II, from the mid 1950's through the 1960's and 1970's, there was concern that, with so much construction little or no open space would remain in Andover. Harold Rafton and others pursued the acquisition of properties through gift and purchase, vastly increasing AVIS acreage and the number of reservations.
    • Deer Jump Reservation is 92.6 acres and stretches 2.3 miles along the bank of the Merrimack River. Four tracts of land purchased 1960 and 1961 make up this reservation.
    • Vale Reservation is located between the railroad tracts and the Shawsheen River in Ballardvale. This land was purchased in 1959.
    • Shawsheen River Reservation is comprised of 26 acres of open grassland starting at the "Horn Bridge and running along the Shawsheen River. The land was purchased in 1963.
    • Indian Ridge Reservation, Baker's Meadow, is 3 parcels of land obtained at 3 different times: 1900,1958, and 1963.
    • High Plain Reservation is 172 acres at the junction of I93 and I495. It was purchased in 1963.
  • AVIS is run by a 15 member volunteer board. Many more wardens, committee members and scouts help to maintain and improve the reservations.

back to Main Page

See

  • "Andover Village Improvement Society", August 1964:
Page1
Page2
Page3
Page4



  • "Merrimack reservation is brought back to life," Eagle Tribune, August 12, 1979, p. B3.
  • "Conservation Land Improved," Andover Townsman, August 14, 1986, p. 26.
  • "Conservation an expensive fight, even in 1897," Andover Townsman, December 7, 1989, p. 10.
  • "It's a bird watcher's haven," Andover Townsman, December 28, 1989, p. 7.
  • "Harold Rafton Reservation is a favorite," Andover Townsman, January 18, 1990, p. 2.
  • "Goldsmith is her favorite," Andover Townsman, February 22, 1990, p. 10.
  • "Two unusual AVIS treasures are close by: Skug River and Hammond Reservation," Andover Townsman, March 8, 1990, p. 10.
  • "Following the Skug River to the Taft," Andover Townsman, March 15, 1990, p. 31.
  • "AVIS will be 100 years old in 1994," Andover Townsman, March 29, 1990, p. 38.
  • "AVIS works to buy meadow," Andover Townsman, May 10, 1990, p. 6.
  • "AVIS' Purdon Reservation: Five acres of history," Andover Townsman, October 31, 1991, p. 6.
  • "Georgia Stanley was eager to protect family land," Andover Townsman, November 21, 1991.
  • "Visiting the magical AVIS Sanborn Reservation," Andover Townsman, may 7, 1992, p. 60.
  • "100 years of saving the land: How AVIS has kept Andover Andover," Eagle Tribune, December 12, 1993, p. 1.
  • "AVIS: 100 years conserving land," Andover Townsman, January 27, 1994, p. 1.
  • "AVIS acquires more Taft land," Andover Townsman, August 28, 1997.
  • "Light is gold, the vistas wide: Ward Reservation," Boston Globe, November 2, 1997.
  • "Taft property makes nice hike," Andover Townsman, December 18, 1997, p. 43.
  • "In Andover: land, lots of land, for public use," Boston Sunday Globe, April 14, 2002, p. M 20.
  • "AVIS sues man who allegedly cut trees," Andover Townsman, June 20, 2002.
  • "Suit asks: Who had right to chop trees?," Eagle Tribune, June 21, 2002, p. 1.
  • "AVIS Keeping Andover Green," Eagle Tribune, July 6, 2004, pages 9, 10.
  • "Group, tree-cutter agree to $24,000 settlement," Eagle Tribune, October 19, 2004, p. 13.
  • "Reserving their place in history: Conservation land renamed after retiring improvement society members," Eagle Tribune, March 9, 2005, p. 11.
  • "Peggy Keck and Nat Smith honored: AVIS names reservations after two open-space pioneers," Andover Townsman, March 10, 2005, p. 5.
  • "Era ends at AVIS, leadership changes," Eagle Tribune, April 24, 2005, p. C7.
  • "Boardwalks to connect more open spaces," Andover Townsman, August 18, 2005.
  • "Heightened senses at Andover's Ward Reservation," Eagle Tribune, October 1, 2006.
  • "Scenic stops around each corner at Goldsmith Woodlands," November 12, 2006.
  • "Triple the pleasure when you go exploring Andover's outdoors," Eagle Tribune, December 17, 2006.
  • "Volunteers rescue trail, AVIS footbridge: Taking the bridge from beavers," Andover Townsman, January 18, 2007, p. 19.
  • "AVIS Recognized for Preserving Town's Natural Resources," Andover Townsman, April 19, 2012, page S7.
  • "Storms throughout history cause devastation of town trees," Andover Townsman, January 3, 2013, page 10.
  • "A trail of possibilities: First let of Greenway readies to open," Andover Townsman, April 18, 2013, p. 1.
  • "A gift for the outdoors: Nature lover leaves $62,700 to AVIS," Andover Townsman, December 12, 2013, p. 1.


Leslie 11:05, September 5, 2012 (EDT)

--Eleanor (talk) 12:53, 13 March 2015 (EDT)