Elm Square

From Andover Answers
Revision as of 14:10, 7 January 2016 by Eleanor (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Elm Square was named after the Centennial Elm in it's center. There are seven approaches to the intersection and until 1934 a trolley ran through the intersection. The tree was removed in 1919 because it was determined to be a traffic hazard.

See


  • Attached article, "Elm Square Part of the Problem," Andover Townsman, November 2, 2000.
“Elm Square Part of the Problem" Andover Townsman, November 2, 2000.....click to enlarge


  • Attached article, "Centennial Elm Removed," by Charlotte Abbott Andover, Townsman December 5, 1919.
    “Centenennial Elm Removed, Andover Townsman, December 5, 1919, page 1.....click to enlarge
“Centennial Elm Removed, Andover Townsman, December 5, 1919, page 5.....click to enlarge
“Centennial Elm Removed, Andover Townsman, December 5, 1919, page 7.....click to enlarge
Elm Square before 1919

This photo is from the Townsman, August 21, 2003 "Past and Present"

...Elm Square before the tree before it was removed.... click to enlarge


...The Musgrove Building, Elm Square, circa 1894.... click to enlarge



--Kim 16:43, December 15, 2009 back to Main Page

--Eleanor (talk) 14:41, 30 September 2015 (EDT)